Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Short question, I've got 2 summer internship offers from Greenhill (M&A) and BarCap (DCM) - both in London. I'm working part time with M&A at the moment so I'd say that I have a pretty good view of what I will be doing at Greenhill, but I have a very vague idea of what DCM is like? Greenhill is only 5 weeks and I've heard that only around 30% gets a full time offer.

I have to get back to the banks in just a few days so some opinions would be highly appreciated! How would you rank Greenhill vs BarCap, considering that BarCap is in DCM?

ReputationRep:
    Greenhill is a great place but it is a boutique firm and the conversion rates are low.

I would go for BarCap. They are a really strong house for DCM, and have a great graduate training scheme. Also two friends of mine from uni did summer internships at BarCap (One in trading the other in DCM) and they both got full time job offers. Barcap pay is also competitive with what other big banks are paying.

BarCap gives you a greater opportunity to network and build relationships, Greenhill is great but it is difficult to go from boutique to BB so you are closing some doors by going there.

In any case good luck and well done on your offers!

Dwayne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hartuntio)
    Hi,

Short question, I've got 2 summer internship offers from Greenhill (M&A) and BarCap (DCM) - both in London. I'm working part time with M&A at the moment so I'd say that I have a pretty good view of what I will be doing at Greenhill, but I have a very vague idea of what DCM is like? Greenhill is only 5 weeks and I've heard that only around 30% gets a full time offer.

I have to get back to the banks in just a few days so some opinions would be highly appreciated! How would you rank Greenhill vs BarCap, considering that BarCap is in DCM?
    BarCap DCM. BarCap's DCM is top of the street. Also, at the start of your career it's better to have the scale, reach and structure of a BB. The work depends on what group you'll be in, but assuming it's Lev Fin it'll be pretty much the same stuff you're doing in M&A but you'll be working from the financing perspective as opposed to advisory. Do you know how the BarCap internship is structured - will you be on one desk, or rotations?

ReputationRep:
    Barcap's conversion rates last year were insanely high.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to do DCM or M&A? That's what you need to decide. Do some more research on what DCM is actually about, then make your decision.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.