Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR

Right, as far as I'm concerned I wasn't going to study anything other than English at University. I live in Bradford and the university of Bradford offers 2 courses in English. Both with the entry requirements of CDD (reflects the course tbh).

I had to stick with local uni's and so my other option was Leeds. One of my choices is Bradford and the remaining 4 are at Leeds.
    After reading round how competitive English is at Leeds and how someone with remarkable AS grades got rejected, it leaves me questioning my chances of getting in.

My Personal Statement is pretty good, AS grades: BCC (English and Religious Studies is pending so they will be bumped up ) and I'm predicted AAB (not to forget I'm applying for the Access to Leeds scheme) but I'm really worried I'll get rejected and I'll end up in Bradford. I'm pretty concieved with the idea that I'll hate what the course has to offer.

I still have time to change my options. But I really have no choices at the minute! :/

ReputationRep:
    But I really have no choices at the minute! :/
    Would Sheffield be commutable for you?

Another wildcard option would be the Open University. Excellent reputation but obviously not the typical uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubberdingyrapids1)
    Hello TSR

Right, as far as I'm concerned I wasn't going to study anything other than English at University. I live in Bradford and the university of Bradford offers 2 courses in English. Both with the entry requirements of CDD (reflects the course tbh).

I had to stick with local uni's and so my other option was Leeds. One of my choices is Bradford and the remaining 4 are at Leeds.
    After reading round how competitive English is at Leeds and how someone with remarkable AS grades got rejected, it leaves me questioning my chances of getting in.

My Personal Statement is pretty good, AS grades: BCC (English and Religious Studies is pending so they will be bumped up ) and I'm predicted AAB (not to forget I'm applying for the Access to Leeds scheme) but I'm really worried I'll get rejected and I'll end up in Bradford. I'm pretty concieved with the idea that I'll hate what the course has to offer.

I still have time to change my options. But I really have no choices at the minute! :/
    Aren't York and Sheffield commutable?

If not, I would have at least made Leeds Met one the choices, it's not as bad as some people perceive it to be. Furthermore, I think your entry requirements will be lower anyway since you applied for the Access to Leeds scheme.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disagree with the poster above me, but I'd advise against Leeds Met -- I knew a girl who did their English course there who didn't even do English at A-level and said she picked the course out of the blue, yet she was finding it pretty easy. Not the kind of thing to go for if you have a genuine interest in the subject!

Read very carefully at what Bradford has to offer in their course, and if you don't like it, withdraw. Don't fret about getting into Leeds -- yes, it is very competitive, but they focus more on your personal statement than grades, so as long as your predicted grades are AAB with an A in English you shouldn't have a problem.

Huddersfield also does a couple of English courses so maybe that would be worth looking into as it's West Yorkshire? Sheffield is 40 minutes on the train from Leeds, so there's 2 unis there to consider.

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR

Well, I dont think you should apply to the university of leeds... I know people who have gotten 4 As at AS and an interview from Oxbridge but have still been rejected to study English there.. it must be ridiculously competitive/ have its own strange entry requirements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by magickat)
    Well, I dont think you should apply to the university of leeds... I know people who have gotten 4 As at AS and an interview from Oxbridge but have still been rejected to study English there.. it must be ridiculously competitive/ have its own strange entry requirements
    The OP is applying through the access scheme, though, which means their offer will be lowered to BBB and they'll be given special consideration in light of their circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    The OP is applying through the access scheme, though, which means their offer will be lowered to BBB and they'll be given special consideration in light of their circumstances
    Oh ok well I don't know anything about the scheme, but if that's the case then I don't see any harm in going for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I hear a few of you saying I should have gone for Sheffield, but their competition is just as stiff so I wouldn't exactly be giving myself a realistic chance once again.

Huddersfield- nearly all their English options have limited places (like 20) so who's to say they havent been given out?

I will change one of my choices, not sure what to but I will be. 3 of the courses at Leeds are ABB and not AAB so I think that increases my chances.
    I got a B in English Language AS and am resitting the coursework so it should be bumped up to an A.

I guess I just have to give myself a chance and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    PS- I've already applied. Last week. I'm now just considering substituting choices.

ReputationRep:
    PS- I've already applied. Last week. I'm now just considering substituting choices.
    RE: Huddersfield -- they have to give out more offers than places as people will turn it down or miss their offer, so they will hand them out accordingly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.