Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone finding this course?

I think that there's just too much notation to hack through and not enough examples given in the book or in the lectures, which makes it even harder to understand the notation. The book has several mistakes in it as well, which doesn't help at all. In general, I don't really understand what's going on, but I feel that I could probably answer questions as set out in the exams if I kept going.

When does it start to click? Is the second term any better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

I think that there's just too much notation to hack through and not enough examples given in the book or in the lectures, which makes it even harder to understand the notation. The book has several mistakes in it as well, which doesn't help at all. In general, I don't really understand what's going on, but I feel that I could probably answer questions as set out in the exams if I kept going.

Not really. Notation is worse, game theory is heavy on definition and notation. The first weeks are better, but once the stuff gets more complicated it is hard to follow lectures when he goes over all in the proper notation. The homeworks are easier though. The end is just as bad, and you just have to go over examples. If you understand one example for a topic you know them all, basically.

I went over all the exercises and for second term the 2 problem sets for LT in particular. And then went over a lot of past paper solutions and try one odd question (can't do them all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

Hi Swayum. It's a tough course, but for me it made it more rewarding to revise come may. Although I'm not saying the exam is easy, it certainly doesn't have the jump in difficulty between homeworks and the exam that other courses do.

I didn't ace the exam, and that was probably due to me basically completely messing up one of the big questions and so a big part of my grade, but I found the best way in going was to forget about the notation and understand what's going on. When you do that, and can work through the method it makes the first half of the course a lot easier (also if you are doing MA208 all the lagrange will be second nature come the exam.)

As for the second half, Nava 's first year was last year and so I hope that from mine and Danny's experience the notation is stream-lined better. The key to the second half if that there are only about 6 or 7 questions you can be asked (as you'll find out) and it means revising for the exam is relatively straightforward. I can't really suggest something for getting through the first half, but for the second half I found a book called "Games and Information" by rasmussen (sp?) to be really helpful. It's cheap on amazon and there are earlier editions in the library. It doesn't follow the course, but it outlines the questions you will receive in the exam in clear english (little notation). The supplementary reading is ok as well.

I don't know who the class teachers are, but last year they were nigh on brilliant, and I'm sure this years group will be just as useful with problems if you have them. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.