Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iran slams UK for human rights violations in student protests Watch

ReputationRep:
    Following recent abuses by British police against students protesting the government's plan to triple tuition fees, an Iranian lawmaker slams violation of human rights in the UK. "The UK government ignores civil rights of students and reacts harshly to peaceful protests," a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of the Iranian Parliament (Majlis), Heshmatollah Falahatpisheh, told IRNA on Tuesday.

The Iranian lawmaker pointed out that British statesmen still refuse to accept realities in their own country and regard themselves as a "global superpower."

The source is one of Iran's many propaganda outlets, PressTV (so apologists, Islamists and the like, please don't start talking about sources).

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    How ****ing ironic!

The name Neda Agha Soltan springs to mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    Following recent abuses by British police against students protesting the government's plan to triple tuition fees, an Iranian lawmaker slams violation of human rights in the UK. "The UK government ignores civil rights of students and reacts harshly to peaceful protests," a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of the Iranian Parliament (Majlis), Heshmatollah Falahatpisheh, told IRNA on Tuesday.

The Iranian lawmaker pointed out that British statesmen still refuse to accept realities in their own country and regard themselves as a "global superpower."

The source is one of Iran's many propaganda outlets, PressTV (so apologists, Islamists and the like, please don't start talking about sources).

Any thoughts?
    I saw it and simply went :lolwut:

Iran criticised our methods of dealing with student protests? That's a bit hypocritical for as far as I know student demos in Iran are treated worse by police.

ReputationRep:
    Pot calling the kettle black.

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about a regime whose mercenaries invade halls of residences and libraries, beat students and pile their lifeless bodies on top of eachother....and then resume beating them.

Whilst the kettling tactics used against British protesters are unpleasant in the extreme, for the Islamic Regime to have a go at Britain really is a case of the pot calling the kettle black...over here the protesters intentionally damage public property like bus shelters and are basically let off scot free, whilst in Iran protesters are raped, tortured and murdered simply for saying "down with dictatorship".

ReputationRep:
    Did we just get trolled by... Iran? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    alcohol
    intoxiates
    people
    makes them get migranes
    severely damadges liver
    makes them drunk and not even able to control their actions
    makes them lose morality and humanity
    yet people do it
    corrupt.
    What a beautiful poem :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Iran's got to be trolling. It's the only reasonable explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    We're talking about a regime whose mercenaries invade halls of residences and libraries, beat students and pile their lifeless bodies on top of eachother....and then resume beating them.
    You've got to admire their efficiency. If only they could transfer their energies into slightly more productive areas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Did we just get trolled by... Iran? :lolwut:
    Got beaten to it...

ReputationRep:
    Old news, brah. You still playing a Gameboy Color and wearing dungarees too?

ReputationRep:
    Iran continuously condemning Western countries for human rights "abuses"... well, it's just hilarious, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Got beaten to it...
    With it, deal.

:bootyshake:

ReputationRep:
    Old news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Old news, brah. You still playing a Gameboy Color and wearing dungarees too?
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Old news
    This particular statement was made on Tuesday. It's now Wednesday. And unless you two frequent Iran's propaganda outlet, this is news - as you can see by most of the reactions on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Fodder for the mush brained moral-relativists.

A lot of people who consider themselves quite the post religious sophisticates seem to have internalised the christian teaching about needing to be without sin onesself in order to validly criticise some other entitiy for some reason... with the exception of our allies naturally.

I'm not a regular viewer but last time I saw Press TV they were trailing some 'expose' of death rows in america. My irony detector exploded on the spot.

Press TV is Iranian Government propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    This particular statement was made on Tuesday. It's now Wednesday. And unless you two frequent Iran's propaganda outlet, this is news - as you can see by most of the reactions on this thread.
    They criticised the UK when the students Thugs went out the first time round... The article may be recent, but the criticism is old. Oh and before I forget, did you know the USA have voted in their first black president!! !!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    They criticised the UK when the students Thugs went out the first time round... The article may be recent, but the criticism is old. Oh and before I forget, did you know the USA have voted in their first black president!! !!! :eek:
    You just repeated something I've already addressed. This statement, forget the article, was made on Tuesday. As in yesterday. I made a thread about that statement. This is news to a lot of people; look at the reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You've got to admire their efficiency. If only they could transfer their energies into slightly more productive areas...
    It has nothing to do with energy (or even ideology in some cases), but more to do with the $200 a day these filth are paid.

"We are getting paid 200,000 toman [about $200] a day by the government," a member of the group said in an e-mail made available to The Times. "We are being instructed to go into the streets and hit people, everyone and anyone who is out, until they can no longer get up. We are being fed lunch and dinner and given rooms to sleep in at night in undisclosed locations."

ReputationRep:
    Why is PressTV allowed to be aired in the UK?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.