Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Friends,

I'm currently a 1st year BSc student double majoring in Biology, Ecology & Biodiversity at HKU. I've finished my IB diploma in May 2010 and scored 41. For my IGCSE/GCSE i got 7A*, 2A and 1B.

I have always wanted to study Medicine in HKU but got rejected since i missed the offer by 1 point and i also applied to Australia, but got rejected by all 8 medicial schools which i applied to. I never thought i'd end up in this predicament, hence it never occured to me to consider UK as a possibility (also due to its costly tuition fees).

But now, i realize it is comparatively easier to transfer back to HK if i am already enrolled in a UK med school, therefore i want to apply to UK. However, i realize that i've missed the UKCAT and UCAS deadline for Medicine this year. Does this mean i have wait until next year , or are there any other method/pathway i can apply this year? If i were to apply next year, this mean i will have to start afresh as an undergraduate, after completing 2 years of BSc already.

What do you guys think about my chances for gaining admissions?
    Is it worthwhile for me to pursuit this long journey?
    Are there any other countries i can consider?
    Can i still apply for Medicine this year?

Regards,
    Andy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Wu)
    Hey Friends,

I'm currently a 1st year BSc student double majoring in Biology, Ecology & Biodiversity at HKU. I've finished my IB diploma in May 2010 and scored 41. For my IGCSE/GCSE i got 7A*, 2A and 1B.

I have always wanted to study Medicine in HKU but got rejected since i missed the offer by 1 point and i also applied to Australia, but got rejected by all 8 medicial schools which i applied to. I never thought i'd end up in this predicament, hence it never occured to me to consider UK as a possibility (also due to its costly tuition fees).

But now, i realize it is comparatively easier to transfer back to HK if i am already enrolled in a UK med school, therefore i want to apply to UK. However, i realize that i've missed the UKCAT and UCAS deadline for Medicine this year. Does this mean i have wait until next year , or are there any other method/pathway i can apply this year? If i were to apply next year, this mean i will have to start afresh as an undergraduate, after completing 2 years of BSc already.

What do you guys think about my chances for gaining admissions?
    Is it worthwhile for me to pursuit this long journey?
    Are there any other countries i can consider?
    Can i still apply for Medicine this year?

Regards,
    Andy
    Hello there

The application deadline for 2011 entry was the 15th October so I'm afraid that you will not be able to apply until next year for entry in 2012.

There are a few 4year duration medical degrees offered by UK medical schools, but these are for graduates only and you would not meet the criteria if you are not in the final year of your degree (How long is your HKU degree, 3 or 4 years???)
    This means that you would be applying to the 5year undergraduate degree and would start as a 1st year

Only you can decide if it is worth it or not, it is very expensive and time consuming. But if you really want to do it then there is nothing stopping you from applying in 2011.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Friends,

I'm currently a undegraduate HKU reading Biology and Ecology & Biodiversity.
    I just finished my first semester here and is now considering to apply to the UK.
    Back in high school, i've always known that i wanted to study MBBS here in HK, but got rejected by the 2 med schools in HK. I also applied to Australia, but got rejected by 9 medical schools.

Is there any chance i can still apply for Medicine this year in the UK? (i know i missed UCAS and UKCAT deadline...) Is there any other countries/pathway i can consider?

As for my, academics, i scored 41 in my IB diploma in May 2010 and 7A* and 2As for GCSEs.

Please help me out!

Best,
    Andy

ReputationRep:
    Hey Friends,

I just finished my first semester here and is now considering to apply to the UK.
    Back in high school, i've always known that i wanted to study MBBS here in HK, but got rejected by the 2 med schools in HK. I also applied to Australia, but got rejected by 9 medical schools.

Is there any chance i can still apply for Medicine this year in the UK? (i know i missed UCAS and UKCAT deadline...) Is there any other countries/pathway i can consider?

As for my, academics, i scored 41 in my IB diploma in May 2010 and 7A* and 2As for GCSEs.

Please help me out!

Best,
    Andy
    I'm not sure about medical schools in other countries, but you can't apply to UK medicals schools this year.
    Take a year out and apply next year.
    Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Hey Friends,

Please help me out!

Best,
    Andy
    I don't think anywhere in the UK would consider you if you're already enrolled on another degree (unless you're in your final year, which you obviously aren't). You've also missed the UCAS and UKCAT deadline, as you know, so I am afraid you're too late for 2011.

If you want to apply for 2012 entry I would email the schools you're interested in before applying, explain that you're currently enrolled on another degree and see what they say - probably worth doing before dropping out/applying.

ReputationRep:
    No, it is too late this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.