Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm an italian student attending my undergrad at Bocconi. After my BBA i would like to attend MBF at St.Gallen university: I don't know german but i'm planning to learn it there, at a basic level, at least. Would you suggest me to go for St.Gallen anyway?

ReputationRep:
    If you are studying an English language course, knowing no German will not be of any harm; however I would suggest learning even a little German before you arrive as your everyday dealings will be with swiss German speaking people some of whom will not be able to speak much English, particularly if dealing with older people.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I'll try to learn a little german before going to St.Gallen, but my worries were more about working chances: is german knowledge strictly necessary to work in Switzerland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocconian)
    Of course I'll try to learn a little german before going to St.Gallen, but my worries were more about working chances: is german knowledge strictly necessary to work in Switzerland?
    It depends what kind of job you mean. For example a part time time job during your studies will be difficult to get without decent german capabilities, particularly if the job entails dealing with customers - there may be some opportunities within the university itself.

After graduation there will be opportunities in large multi national organisations, but german knowledge will still be preferred as many of ones clients might speak only german or prefer to speak german.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bocconian)
    Would you suggest me to go for St.Gallen anyway?
    NO

you definitely need to speak German fluently and be able to use it in a professional environment to fully enjoy most of the opportunities offered by st gallen

personally, if you dont speak German just go for MSc Finance in Bocconi, i dont see any pros in st gallen

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.