Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This is something I've been wondering for a while now. Possibly because its early in the sixth form holidays and I haven't been around friends for a few days. Now by no means am I boring/shy, I'm known to be talkative, funny and I've had a lot of interesting experiences.

But in a relationship that is long term like marriage how the heck do you sustain a conversation for decades. Including a lot of a one on one time like going abroad evenings and things. Surely you tell them everything you know at some point.

ReputationRep:
    you just end up talking about your day at work, people you know, gossiping etc.

its not all about the past. its about the present and future aswel.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure couples don't have decades-long conversations, brah

ReputationRep:
    yh thats why you have to look at the character of your bf/gf before dating them instead of just appearance as well.
    I mean they become like a friend after while..
    the excitement decreases but you still want them around you.

Surely that all gets boring after a while.

Also bumping the thread because it took time to get approved.

^^ But they do if there together from late 20s to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    lol this

people aren't Ents

ReputationRep:
    If you end up having nothing to talk about, turn on iChat and get naked. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your relationship is based upon conversation. You need to meet up more, and do things.

Those things, too :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    There will always be conversation. I presume you and your family don't just sit there and stare awkwardly at each other? I know some do, though most find conversation.

Current affairs, what you did today, what our friends and family are up to...there's always stuff to talk about. And if you don't want to talk, watch something on tv or go see a movie or a gig, and then talk about that after.

See? Conversation is endless.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, after a while conversation does dry up in a relationship, so you just bonk instead :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    New stuff keeps happening for you to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    LOL

(Original post by Menakshelatte)
    I mean they become like a friend after while.
    If they're not your best friend the relationship will die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trooper6)

If they're not your best friend the relationship will die.
    so people should go out with their best friends?
    Thats a whole new topic..
    Then i guess all couples who've been married for so many years are best friends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    Then i guess all couples who've been married for so many years are best friends?
    If they’re not best friends I would think it must be a pretty miserable existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trooper6)
    If they’re not best friends I would think it must be a pretty miserable existence.
    possibly.. sometimes it can actually be love that holds themtogether though.but rarely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmielociraptor)
    There will always be conversation. I presume you and your family don't just sit there and stare awkwardly at each other? I know some do, though most find conversation.
    Conversation in our family is usually quite dire. I seem to spend most of my time by myself when I'm in the house because of this :teehee:

What you say is true though, though I've always wondered what happens after "everything's been said and done" too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.