Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just been revising second messengers (OCR Bio A2) with the example of cAMP in relation to adrenaline.

The book basically says that adrenaline binds to the receptor site on the cell surface membrane (first messenger), the binding causes adenyl cyclase to be activated, this converts ATP to cyclic AMP. The cAMP is the second messenger and it triggers a series of enzyme controlled reactions that have an effect.

Then, reading about the regulation of blood glucose, I found that insulin also has a similiar mechanism, where cAMP acts as the second messenger.

But the effects of adrenaline and insulin are different, and I'm guessing its not just those two hormones that use it. How does this happen when its just the cAMP activating things inside the cell in both cases?

I know I don't need to know this for the exam but I'm just curious. I was thinking it was something to do with them having possibly different target cells and different types of cells possibly having different enzymes in them for the cAMP to act upon (the idea being that cAMP wasn't that fussy with the enzymes it works on). But thats just a guess, so...yeah...

Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there im on the same board as you ....and from what i have learnt from my teacher and my own curious mind is that ATP ADP cAMP are universal energy molecule (its the same molecule but with different amounts of phosphate group attached to it )
    So it would led me to believe that it would start enzyme activity for adrenaline effects IE the Sympathetic nervous system
    a increase in heart rate dilation of pupils etc
    While Insulin would only affect the Liver ? thus cAMP would start enzyme activity for glucose concentration
    A key thing you need to think about is that most reactions are universal with only subtle differences or products changing them a better example is the nervous system and how acetylchloine is unique and codes for a specific function forgot of the top of my head and if there is a different substrate then a diffrent reaction occurs but the process is largely the same ..sorry for the block of text

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.