The Student Room Group

3.5 A levels vs 4 + extenuating circumstances?

Hi everyone
I just basically need a bit of advice.

PLEASE help me by reading this link which explains my full circumstances.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1417842

I'll be applying for Pharmacy 2011 entry and I did indeed withdraw from my AS exams and will be sitting for them next year.
but before my application is sent off, I have to decide whether to do 4 full a levels in one go or 3 A levels and one AS. It'll be difficult because my brother's been in steady decline but I've seen people on this forum who've done like 4-5 A levels and.. gah I don't know.

I'm just nervous because I don't know if I'll get any offers if I only have 3.5 A levels.
Could people out there please tell me your experiences in having 3.5 A levels?? Will it disadvantage me in any way in my Pharmacy application?

Thanks so much :smile: x
Reply 1
Original post by chridhe
Hi everyone

I'll be applying for Pharmacy 2011 entry and I did indeed withdraw from my AS exams and will be sitting for them next year.
but before my application is sent off, I have to decide whether to do 4 full a levels in one go or 3 A levels and one AS. It'll be difficult because my brother's been in steady decline but I've seen people on this forum who've done like 4-5 A levels and.. gah I don't know.

I'm just nervous because I don't know if I'll get any offers if I only have 3.5 A levels.
Could people out there please tell me your experiences in having 3.5 A levels?? Will it disadvantage me in any way in my Pharmacy application?

3.5 A levels is plenty to get an offer from pharmacy dotn worry, dont put yourself under any more stress by trying to do 4 and concentrate on getting good grades in the 3.5 you do have :smile: Most universities for pharmacy only want 3 a levels at AAB-ABB
Reply 2
I am currently doing four a-levels and have received offers from all of my uni's for Mpharm 2011 (Manchester, Nottingham, Kings, LSOP, Bath), all offers specify that i get certain grades in three a-levels indicating that they do not really care about my fourth a-level. so as long you have 3 full a-levels of relating subjects you will be in no way disadvantage from someone who does four; such as myself.

with such circumstances as you have mention i believe these to be a credible reason that universities will recognise if you were to not perform as well as you believe you could. if you are to contact your universities directly with this information i am sure this will be considerate and submit offers accordingly. My opinion is that your predicted grades are good enough for universities places, if you feel that you may under perform i would recommend taking only 3.5 as i believed 4 would give me an advantage which it has not really done.

All the best to you and your family
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by chridhe
Hi everyone

hey :smile:
i've applied for pharmacy and i am doing 4 A levels however, i am only doing them because i enjoy them all, not because it's going to give me a better chance cuz at the end of the day to study pharmacy you need 3 A levels at minimum grades AAB-BBB...

if you feel that your fourth subject is going to affect the results/time management/progress in your studies, then simply drop it - the reason im saying this is because i can just about cope with four (knowing that im not going to do well in my fourth subject)

in simple, once you carry on with the fourth A Level it's difficult to drop it because you start to think too much about the amount of time and effort you have spent on that subject. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
i have 3 and i've got offers :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending