Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of buying a new laptop for uni on the 27th due to Christmas sales & 17.5% VAT but im wondering if it would be better to buy my laptop in august nearer to when i go off to uni. What are the pros & cons of buying a laptop now?

ReputationRep:
    no point getting a laptop, i made my mum get me one and its never been outside my room

Best to get a desktop pc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    no point getting a laptop, i made my mum get me one and its never been outside my room

Best to get a desktop pc
    Was thinking of getting a PC as i can get a better one for the same amount or cheaper but i travel a lot (international family gatherings) & always take my laptop with me. BTW do you think the autumn sales for laptops will be as good as the boxing day sales?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_anon)
    Was thinking of getting a PC as i can get a better one for the same amount or cheaper but i travel a lot (international family gatherings) & always take my laptop with me. BTW do you think the autumn sales for laptops will be as good as the boxing day sales?
    If you want out date laptop get it now, if you want new one get it next year

yes you may get the sales now, but students get students price for laptops so.... whats the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    If you want out date laptop get it now, if you want new one get it next year

yes you may get the sales now, but students get students price for laptops so.... whats the difference?
    Do you need a student card to get the discount? & Do you knowe if sony gives discounts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)

Best to get a desktop pc
    The guy didn't ask whether or not to get a laptop, just when to get a laptop.

I would say get one like a month before you go, gives you enough time to get used to it and get it sorted e.g programmes etc.
    Although if you get it now it could be better (quicker) when revising, unless speed isn't really an issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.