Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you pay your parents rent..........? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If so, how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't, but my friend does. £50 a month.

ReputationRep:
    £200 a month. I'm 20 :pierre:

*been paying that amount since I was 17*

ReputationRep:
    I don't pay anything, my parents have said they'll never charge me. They have enough money and thus contributing £50 a week or whatever would be negligible and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I don't. And I'm probably the worst child to have living with you. I bet the pray every night my UCAS is successful this year.

I started when I turned 19. Was only £80 a month and I was earning £430 then so I was lucky. Since going to uni I don't. Might in the summer for a bit though. Not fair that she gets no income for me and has to feed me for 4/5 months.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fire2burn)
      I don't pay anything, my parents have said they'll never charge me. They have enough money and thus contributing £50 a week or whatever would be negligible and pointless.
      Let's hope your dad isn't Nick Clegg eh?

ReputationRep:
      I don't. I am 18 and doing an extra year of 6th form. I don't have a job or get EMA. If I get a job I will offer my Mum money but she usually doesn't take it anyway.

My Brother stayed at home for his first year of Uni and he didn't pay any rent so my Mum has said she wouldn't take any off me because she didn't take any off him.

ReputationRep:
      I'm 17 and I give my parents £20 a month. I force my parents to take it as they don't want anything.

ReputationRep:
      delete

ReputationRep:
      I'm 19, pay them £200 a month but that's for food, bills, room & own bathroom, cooking...

ReputationRep:
      I used to when I lived at home, I think it was £120 a month or something like that. I would expect my kids to pay me rent unless they were still in education or not working.

ReputationRep:
      Nope. I only live at home over Uni holidays and have never been able to find a job. If I did then I would contribute something, though my dad would not ask for it. I'm 20.

ReputationRep:
      my last rent free year, I still won thave to pay rent if I'm only here for the holidays though

ReputationRep:
      No, but then my (30 year old :rolleyes:) bum of a brother gets away without having to.

ReputationRep:
      Nope. My parents really don't need it, whereas I'm a perpetually overdrawn student. I'm 21, 22 in less than two weeks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chrislpp)
      Let's hope your dad isn't Nick Clegg eh?
      Luckily for me he hates the Lib Dems

ReputationRep:
      I don't, but only because I'm at uni so I'm only back for so many weeks a year. Mum is willing to put me up for that long.

Both my brothers do though, because they still live at home and are 23 and 24.

ReputationRep:
      No. I'd guess I probably would if I move back home after uni but I don't think that's going to happen.

ReputationRep:
      Not while I'm still in education. If I needed to live here for a significant amount of time when I'm not still at uni, then I would. Well, 'upkeep'... money towards food and bills, but I wouldn't expect my parents to want money from me in order to earn a profit.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.