Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I really need your help here. I just got an offer from BofA for an internship next year. The contract states that they will do the criminal check after I accept the offer. Here is the issue, I was ever convicted for traffic offense and have a criminal record. I drove without license and insurance and was on court. I know I was stupid. Now I have to pay for what I have done. One mistake many problems..... I am really worried that will the banks take the traffic offense seriously? Any help is much much appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Jonathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan1981)
    Hi everyone,

I really need your help here. I just got an offer from BofA for an internship next year. The contract states that they will do the criminal check after I accept the offer. Here is the issue, I was ever convicted for traffic offense and have a criminal record. I drove without license and insurance and was on court. I know I was stupid. Now I have to pay for what I have done. One mistake many problems..... I am really worried that will the banks take the traffic offense seriously? Any help is much much appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Jonathan
    Did you have to answer whether you had a criminal record or not during the application? If you did, and you said you were clean...you're in trouble. I don't think you'll get the job if you lied about this.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime / had a decision made against you by the courts on the app form? Fairly sure they do. You could risk it and see if they don't do the check, but if they do you'll most likely be blacklisted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember clearly in application whether they asked for criminal record information. But actually my offense was made after my application and just got a conviction now. So I didn't lie to them..... The thing is if I didn't lie, will they still take this traffic offense seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Was this in the UK? Even still, you could be in a bit of a bother.... What I would do is simply tell HR that this occured after the application process, and is a relatively minor offence.

ReputationRep:
    Well technically you've done nothing wrong as when you answered it you were clean as a whistle. But they're still likely to be pissed off that you're breaking the law now and won't have had time to move on and learn from your mistakes etc etc. Did you just get done at the magistrates? It's entirely up to you, you may as well just go for it IMO, they might not even check!

ReputationRep:
    That happened in UK and I just got done at the magistrates. From my side, I am honest to them. Now just finger crossed~~~~
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember clearly in application whether they asked for criminal record information. But actually my offense was made after my application and just got a conviction now. So I didn't lie to them..... The thing is if I didn't lie, will they still take this traffic offense seriously?
    I know several people who have got CRB checks (if this is what you mean) with traffic offences and, hence, criminal records. As long as you haven't misled them in any way, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, your comments are much appreciated. I was honest to them and will be honest to them too. Hopefully it will not be a big deal.....

ReputationRep:
    That happened in UK and I just got done at the magistrates. From my side, I am honest to them. Now just finger crossed~~~~
    just out of interest what division have you got in for?
    im sure BoA say they wont do any ACs till january?

ReputationRep:
    I am in PhD programme.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, your comments are much appreciated. I was honest to them and will be honest to them too. Hopefully it will not be a big deal.....
    Since you've been honest with them and it is a minor traffic offence, I am sure that it won't count against you.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a minor traffic offence though, that's the only thing. A minor offence (I think) is things like speeding isn't it? Driving without a license + insurance is worse i'm sure..
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanmoor)
    It's not really a minor traffic offence though, that's the only thing. A minor offence (I think) is things like speeding isn't it? Driving without a license + insurance is worse i'm sure..
    Yes, that is true, but still I don't think it is bad enough for him not to receive a CRB check or whatever he needs.

ReputationRep:
    A CRB check is just everything pulled off the Police National Database, so it will definetely include it as it won't be spent for x amount of time. If the OP got a conditional discharge, it won't be spent for at least a year, so it will come back on the CRB check

ReputationRep:
    I am sure it will be on the criminal record, I am hoping the firm is fine with such kind of criminal offense....

ReputationRep:
    I am sure it will be on the criminal record, I am hoping the firm is fine with such kind of criminal offense....
    I asked what division- not what course

Have you applied for operations? or sales? or trading ? or IBD? or wealth? and so forth

My personal opinion is that you are in trouble- nobody wants someone with a criminal record, let alone an IB.
    Get hold of them asap and talk to them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.