Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe the car you drive speaks volumes about your personality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe this to be true or false?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely true for the people who actually see cars as a hobby or for enjoyment rather than just a method of getting A to B.

Not quite so much for the rest of the populous in euro/jap boxes.

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely agree with one's car purchase decision making reflecting the owner's personality!

....though not the same way as initiation puts it,
    because i think ALL cars do this - even these 'euroboxes' or 'japboxes' can be just as quirky/interesting/emotion-stirring as the type of cars he thinks would be owned by those 'hobby/enjoyment' people. they could also suggest that the owner is more of a practical person (which is a personality trait itself).

ReputationRep:
    Think it speaks more about your budget

ReputationRep:
    Meh, no. No more than someone's hat does, or someone's favourite TV show does.

I drive a hairdresser's car but I'm not a hairdresser :P.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be driving what I can afford.

Right now it's an Opel Zafira...what does that say about me? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a car, but I have a personality. So no.

ReputationRep:
    no because i had no choice over the car i drive.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say the type of car has an effect, however the condition of it certainly has an impact. If you don't take pride in your car then more often than not you don't take pride in your driving.

ReputationRep:
    No not really most people buy cars to get from one place to another, the type of car in reality will only say a short thing about a relatively limited aspect of your life mostly being what do you need transport for and because there are only limited numbers of designs of cars it wont tell anyone in great detail what the person needs transport for it will give a general idea of what they could need transport for.

In short whatever you can infer from someones personality by their car is likely to be very limited.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely.

My mate at work drives an 500 Arbath, likes making candles and hates football. From the moment he walked in at work I had suspicions - and he's confirmed it.

Everyone above stating - they get a car that gets from A-to-B tells me something about them. It's definitely true.

ReputationRep:
    I think everything is different for different people. Some people value there clothes more than anything else, some there game consoles, some phones and some cars. Personally I love my car and I refuse to drive anything that is below it but that’s because to me my car is A LOT more important than clothes or games but on equally par with my phone (love my phone) just depends how materiality people are… I don’t think it says that much about your personality but just what you’re happy with… I just think it cost me SOOO much to learn to drive and get insurance why am I going to be driving around in a crappy car? Because it might have saved me a bit of money to purchase or insure?? But as I say everybody is different… in fact most of friends think im crazy for not blowing all that money on clothes haha

ReputationRep:
    Arguably yes, however it would only be in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I'll be driving what I can afford.

Right now it's an Opel Zafira...what does that say about me? :holmes:
    Why did you buy an opel? Instead of a vaxhaull?

ReputationRep:
    My friend drives a Nissan 300ZX, what is his personality?

(I'm just interested!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes

(Original post by screenager2004)
    My friend drives a Nissan 300ZX, what is his personality?

(I'm just interested!)

Goes better than he looks

ReputationRep:
    Er no...my dad bought my car and it's definitely not my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    no because i had no choice over the car i drive.
    Same. I drive a micra though, which is apparently the 'ultimate' girls car. So meh.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think so. I think it's more the condition of the car and what you do to it that's indicative of your personality. If you take care of your car, then everyone can see that you love your car, but it's the little things you add to it and/or how you style it that really show your personality.

ReputationRep:
    False, it speaks volumes about the amount of money you have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.