Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does racism like this actually exist in England? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm from India and planning to study in England next year. Does this kind of stuff actually happen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0

ReputationRep:
    Lol no, thats a movie, mate dw you may get the odd bit of racial comment, no physical violence with machetes but the pathetic comments will most likely come from run down estates, chances are you wont be going near them
    Also some places are more considerate than others, but everywhere is multicultural these days

ReputationRep:
    It could if you go to the wrong places. Stay out of ghettos and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebodytolove)
    I'm from India and planning to study in England next year. Does this kind of stuff actually happen?
    Some places, obviously, as racism is everywhere. Most of the time not to that extent, but sometimes (rarely) worse.
    It's highly unlikely.
    If you're still worried, just get protection from some Jamaicans..

ReputationRep:
    Racism is everywhere, in every country. Scenes like that however are now fairly rare here. That films was set in the late 70s/early 80s when movements like national front etc were at their peak.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Very rarely, but yes it has been known to happen.
    That film was set in the 80s though - we weren't as multicultural/diverse back then.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you were studying in England circa 1980.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    It could if you go to the wrong places. Stay out of ghettos and you'll be fine.
    Wouldn't he actually be less likely to receive racist abuse in the ghettos considering they are often predominantly categorised by minority populations? This is particularly the case in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebodytolove)
    this may happen in extreme circumstances,but also don't forget yesterday was the court case of one of the actors in Harry Potter who was allegedly threatened to be killed by her own muslim family for speaking to her hindu boyfriend. Hate is universal.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt you will receive racism to that extent at university.

Universities are often multicultural places, and you will meet students from all over the world.
    The UK is also renowned as a highly tolerant country. People forget that sometimes but compared to other places, it is extremely racially tolerant. I think India probably has more ethnic violence to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Wouldn't he actually be less likely to receive racist abuse in the ghettos considering they are often predominantly categorised by minority populations? This is particularly the case in London.
    Aren't there tensions between minorities as well? I don't know much about this.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty don't dress this awesomely anymore, if thats what you mean lol jokes and scarily, I knew it was going to be this film before I opened the link. Stuff like that Does happen, but very very rarely and only in very rough areas. Racism exists, lets face it, but the chances of you experiencing anything like this are exceedingly slim.

ReputationRep:
    maybe on a benighted council estate in the middle of nowhere - not in studenty areas which are by definition cosmopolitan.

even the thickest racists have realised hindus and sikhs aren't from pakistan these days.

ReputationRep:
    Stay away from Oldham, and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    brb, suing you for racism.

ReputationRep:
    there is virtually no racism in the UK.
    you may encounter slight bigotry from an old or stupid person, but that won't be embodied in anything more than a queer glance

ReputationRep:
    Watch out for these:

ReputationRep:
    I'm British.. But oh my.. Someone tell me that doesn't actually happen..

ReputationRep:
    This kind of stuff does happen, sometimes, not gonna lie. But I don't think it's something you need to let influence your decision to study here.

The clip is from a film, set in the 80s. It is particularly about racism and racist groups of the time (links in with the National Front, which has now branched in to the BNP which you've probably heard of. If not google them). But these groups are small. I would say most people are accepting of people from all cultures/races/religions, even more so in student environments. There are many, many international students coming to Britain each year; it's the norm, and I don't know anyone who has any problem with people from other countries. And then on top of that, out of the people who might have a 'problem', there is an even smaller group who would actually make their views known to anyone other than family or friends, and make any kind of racially aggravated attack.

In short, there are some idiots like that here, but no more than anywhere else, and it's not something that should concern you overly as you're really unlikely to meet people like this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it does happen.
    But to this extent is rare.

You'll get the occasional name calling, people telling you to go back to your own country. I was born here, and even thought i'm a skinny defenseless little girl, i've been punched and pushed around by racist guys. You'll learn how to deal with it and even better, how to try and avoid it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.