Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of interest, what is rated the best medical school? Is there a reasonably reliable list? I'm interested in doing medicine, and I have a few friends who are convinced Cambridge is the best at everything, but I'm sure it's not the best at medicine...

Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go down this route. Not here on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Was posting this a bad idea? Do people get heated about it, or do you just think it's not worth asking?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the individual and what suits you as all courses are considered to be 'equal' as they are GMC approved so have to meet certain standards etc. At the moment post medical school the foundation posts etc you apply for won't know which medical school you studied at as applications are blind. Some people will prefer a course with heavy focus on problem based learning (PBL) while others do not and will choose a course which is a bit more traditional though increasingly forms of PBL are being incorporated into many medical schools' curriculum in varying proportions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simi89)
    Depends on the individual and what suits you as all courses are considered to be 'equal' as they are GMC approved so have to meet certain standards etc. At the moment post medical school the foundation posts etc you apply for won't know which medical school you studied at as applications are blind. Some people will prefer a course with heavy focus on problem based learning (PBL) while others do not and will choose a course which is a bit more traditional though increasingly forms of PBL are being incorporated into many medical schools' curriculum in varying proportions.

Yeah, I did think it was the case that they don't know where you studied.

Are there many that will accept me without Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcrwt)
    Yeah, I did think it was the case that they don't know where you studied.

Are there many that will accept me without Biology?
    A lot of them will ask for Biology at least to AS level but some might consider you if you have 2 sciences/mathematical subjects. I would have a look at the prospectuses of the medical schools you're interested in and seeing which ones would be able to consider an application from you with the subjects you're studying.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by "the best". Cambridge has a very high employment rate but so do most medical schools, in terms of equipment and teaching quality... I don't have the information to say, sorry.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Please tell me you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcrwt)
    Purely out of interest, what is rated the best medical school? Is there a reasonably reliable list? I'm interested in doing medicine, and I have a few friends who are convinced Cambridge is the best at everything, but I'm sure it's not the best at medicine...

Can anyone confirm this?
    I heard somewhere that a lot of oxbridge medics end up doing clinical years at other unis because the clinical years suck. This might not be true but I'm sure I heard it somewhere reliable.:hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simi89)
    A lot of them will ask for Biology at least to AS level but some might consider you if you have 2 sciences/mathematical subjects. I would have a look at the prospectuses of the medical schools you're interested in and seeing which ones would be able to consider an application from you with the subjects you're studying.
    I took maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, and I'm predicted A's in all 4 at AS level. Would that be enough? Or should I take Biology AS next year?

(Original post by M1F2R3)
    It depends what you mean by "the best". Cambridge has a very high employment rate but so do most medical schools, in terms of equipment and teaching quality... I don't have the information to say, sorry.
    Yeah, that's the sort of things I've heard too from friends when I've asked.

(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Is there an unwritten law about asking about med school? I guess it was a poorly phrased question, and it looks like I want a simple answer, but I don't, I really want to know the pros and cons, and the title doesn't do it justice
    I hope.

(Original post by nazirard)
    I heard somewhere that a lot of oxbridge medics end up doing clinical years at other unis because the clinical years suck. This might not be true but I'm sure I heard it somewhere reliable.:hide:
    Do oxbridge medical courses have their own attached hospitals? I'm not sure what the actual name is, but in Coventry there's the Coventry and Warwick University Hospital, where they do medical training for students - is there an equivalent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcrwt)
    I took maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, and I'm predicted A's in all 4 at AS level. Would that be enough? Or should I take Biology AS next year?

Yeah, that's the sort of things I've heard too from friends when I've asked.

Is there an unwritten law about asking about med school? I guess it was a poorly phrased question, and it looks like I want a simple answer, but I don't, I really want to know the pros and cons, and the title doesn't do it justice
    I hope.

Do oxbridge medical courses have their own attached hospitals? I'm not sure what the actual name is, but in Coventry there's the Coventry and Warwick University Hospital, where they do medical training for students - is there an equivalent?
    . You have to do biology, I think you would find it very hard to get into med school without it.

. Oxbridge doesnt have a higher employment rate for mediicne because all med schools have 99% / 100% employment rate. Also you go onto do foundation years after your med degree, and the university you went to is annonymous and so prestige cannot affect you, therefore going to oxbridge would not give you any advantages as getting in depends on your exam results and where you rank in your med school.

. Also oxbridge dosent have any better equipment, if anything the new med schools would probably be better. But all med schools will have grear facilities.

. Usually this type of question sparks arguments as too who thinks there med school is the best and often this is caused because some people think oxbridge is best because they think its best for everything, thats why people probably commented about you in that way haha

. It is true that oxbridge can lack clinically, but that could just be due to the type of students. Heres a link to a page which shows exam results of diff med schools:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/6/5/

BUT BE CAREFUL, as the results are dated and back then there use to be huge differneces in entry requirements which would have affected exam results greatly, also now adays you will find that pretty much everywhere does just as well in exams and they all the med school have pretty much the same entry requirements.

. Yea med schools do have a teaching hospital attached, apart from St Andrews as there arent really any hospitals by it, they do there clinical training at another med school.

. So basically go for a med school for which you LIKE the teaching style and the university and area etc etc, because then you will ultimately do better there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    . You have to do biology, I think you would find it very hard to get into med school without it.

. Oxbridge doesnt have a higher employment rate for mediicne because all med schools have 99% / 100% employment rate. Also you go onto do foundation years after your med degree, and the university you went to is annonymous and so prestige cannot affect you, therefore going to oxbridge would not give you any advantages as getting in depends on your exam results and where you rank in your med school.

. Also oxbridge dosent have any better equipment, if anything the new med schools would probably be better. But all med schools will have grear facilities.

. Usually this type of question sparks arguments as too who thinks there med school is the best and often this is caused because some people think oxbridge is best because they think its best for everything, thats why people probably commented about you in that way haha

. It is true that oxbridge can lack clinically, but that could just be due to the type of students. Heres a link to a page which shows exam results of diff med schools:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/6/5/

BUT BE CAREFUL, as the results are dated and back then there use to be huge differneces in entry requirements which would have affected exam results greatly, also now adays you will find that pretty much everywhere does just as well in exams and they all the med school have pretty much the same entry requirements.

. Yea med schools do have a teaching hospital attached, apart from St Andrews as there arent really any hospitals by it, they do there clinical training at another med school.

. So basically go for a med school for which you LIKE the teaching style and the university and area etc etc, because then you will ultimately do better there.
    Ah, I might struggle without biology then. I guess I'll do AS Biology next year then :/

I did read that some don't require it, so I guess if Oxbridge isn't that much above the rest, I could just go somewhere else.

Or, I could forget medicine and go for physics at Oxbridge :/

I HATE THINGS LIKE THIS I CAN'T DECIDE!

Thanks very much for your help btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcrwt)
    Ah, I might struggle without biology then. I guess I'll do AS Biology next year then :/

I did read that some don't require it, so I guess if Oxbridge isn't that much above the rest, I could just go somewhere else.

Or, I could forget medicine and go for physics at Oxbridge :/

I HATE THINGS LIKE THIS I CAN'T DECIDE!

Thanks very much for your help btw
    Haah, well is it the fact you want to go to Oxbridge or do medicine, you have to decide one or the other, you may not even get into Oxbridge for physics, in which case would you enjoy doing physics at another uni or would you prefer medicine. Also if you choose a subject like physics I doubt you would get into grad medicine, though you never know. And if your looking at it front a power career point of view then either will give you a great career, medicine maybe giving you a more powerful one though. Also if your looking at it from a wow point of view doing either is just impressive. Saying that you really need to be passionate about medicine to get in because it's such a hard gruelling process and it's one hard degree!!

ReputationRep:
    Sacred Hearts?

ReputationRep:
    southampton. obviously :rolleyes:

no, but there is a best medical school for everyone, depending on what you want. for example, oxford for me would have been a rubbish medical school, whereas cardiff (which is quite a lot lower down the 'rankings'( :rolleyes: ) would have been fantasic.

but really, southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    not truee. keele, oxford and southampton all dont requite it (amoung others) and i know a few people who have got in without it, as it makes no difference at these places.

however, i would highly recommend the op takes at least one year of it, as the people in my year who havnt done it are struggling with the work a bit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When you're trying to decide on a medical school (or narrow down choices), there are lots of things to consider. The main one is obviously the course structure, the location, the accommodation, the city, etc. but the prestige of the medical school is not something that you need to consider, at all. The consensus is that it makes no difference on what job you get at all. As has been said, all medical schools are GMC accredited which means when you graduate, you're a doctor. The only difference is the way they teach.

If you're a independent self-learner who doesn't like lectures, Oxbridge will be the worst medical school while somewhere like Manchester will be the best, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody knows how medical schools work and your answer doesn't do anything to help clear things up for the OP, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    not truee. keele, oxford and southampton all dont requite it (amoung others) and i know a few people who have got in without it, as it makes no difference at these places.

however, i would highly recommend the op takes at least one year of it, as the people in my year who havnt done it are struggling with the work a bit.
    True, but I still think biology should be taken because it allows you to apply to way more med schools.

ReputationRep:
    He will finally catch up, he is new on TSR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.