Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Irish student thinking of studying in Britain. I'm from the Republic of Ireland and have been attending university here for the last few years. For various reasons I've decided I'd rather do postgrad study outside of Ireland and due to distance/language the UK seems to be the best bet at the moment.

There seems to be a few Irish students around here and I was wondering what has your experience in the UK been so far? Is there still hassle for being Irish or just ****ging the same way as anyone else would get it.

Most importantly - money! There is so much written on this online that I've no idea where to even start. Can postgrad students from the Republic get student loans and, if not, what are the alternatives? What are major sources of funding in the UK? Are any of those cross-border studies things still going?

Thanks.

(Not sure whether it's better to put this here or in International Study. I'm sure if it's in the wrong place esomeone will move it. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaSaDa)
    I'm an Irish student thinking of studying in Britain. I'm from the Republic of Ireland and have been attending university here for the last few years. For various reasons I've decided I'd rather do postgrad study outside of Ireland and due to distance/language the UK seems to be the best bet at the moment.

There seems to be a few Irish students around here and I was wondering what has your experience in the UK been so far? Is there still hassle for being Irish or just ****ging the same way as anyone else would get it.

Most importantly - money! There is so much written on this online that I've no idea where to even start. Can postgrad students from the Republic get student loans and, if not, what are the alternatives? What are major sources of funding in the UK? Are any of those cross-border studies things still going?

Thanks.

(Not sure whether it's better to put this here or in International Study. I'm sure if it's in the wrong place esomeone will move it. )
    Hi,

Irish people don't really get any stick for being Irish more than any other nation may get stick for being from a certain place. There are likely to be some stereotypical jokes made about you being Irish but all of them will be banter and not meant maliciously, but fear not, you won't get it worse than other people just for being Irish.

As a student from Ireland, you are obviously classed as an EU student and will pay the home fees at most, if not all universities in the UK (excluding Scotland where you are likely to be eligible to have free tuition). You are also likely to be eligible for financial support.

As well as various scholarships available at most universities for EU students, you may also be eligible for government support in terms of a loan (assuming you've been living in the EEA for at least the last 3 years). If you want to study in England, you should take a look at http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/inf...rt_england.php

If it's any other part of the UK you are interested in simply swap out England for that country in the URL provided.

Hope this helps. If you need any other info just hit me up here or by PM. (I would shamelessly plug my website here but I think I'd get told off haha).

ReputationRep:

Thanks.

Im from Ireland and no one really cares at university,sure my accent might get mocked a bit but its all fun and we laugh at each others accents. I have no idea on the money front though.

ReputationRep:
    there's no ****ging...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the replies. The banter thing wouldn't turn me off studying in the UK but it's just a nice thing to know about.

On TSR at least there seems to be a lot of looking down on different universities and dividing them into Russel Group or not or top-tier universities or not. Is that just internet chatter or do the people looking at applications for Masters think like that too?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the replies. The banter thing wouldn't turn me off studying in the UK but it's just a nice thing to know about.

On TSR at least there seems to be a lot of looking down on different universities and dividing them into Russel Group or not or top-tier universities or not. Is that just internet chatter or do the people looking at applications for Masters think like that too?
    Categorising universities into the "Russell Group" faction exists outside TSR, but to judge that your course is better than others because it belongs to an RG seems pretty vague. For History, my university is not an RG, but it has 25% world-leading research from the RAE which suggests a very good reputation for the course. Other non-RG unis like Birkbeck, Kent and Essex have over a third of world-leading research for History, more than the RGs of Bristol, Edinburgh and Nottingham. Roughly, it is true that an RG uni holds the best course in the country, but this is not always the case - the best course for English I heard nationally is Exeter, a non-RG uni.

TSR users like to compare what is an RG or not, because it aides them in choosing the right uni and course, which I understand. We all want what will advance our careers successfully and what will make us secure in later life. As I said before, RGs have high-ranking research for their courses, but other great non-RGs deserve credit, too.

It is best to choose the uni that would suit your individual abilities through a good course, great tutoring and a lovely social life.

ReputationRep:

Don't let university propoganda sway you in to picking a Russell Group university if it's not right for you. All of the Russell Group unis will tell you how great their facilities and research and blah blah is (which is probably true but let's ignore that for now!) but they often have higher ranked scores for higher levels of performance across the board. As Zoltan said, look in to which university provides the best learning for your subject. Does it really matter what the other subjects are like at the university you go to?

Just a little bit opf info for you about the Russell Group... they formed in 1994 to share ideas and information with each other to strengthen their positions in the market and to form a collective to represent all of their interests in parliament. They weren't selected by some all powerful body because they were so good. They chose their own members at the point of formation based on reputation. Sure it's developed into a very high standard of education in the UK in the Russell Group, but don't let all the hype fool you too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.