Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the important of US Pressure Groups in the political process?
    - I'm putting this thread here because no one ever reads the Government&Politics page.
    Anyway, so does anyone have any ideas on this? Obviously pressure groups increase pluralism and therefore democracy, etc etc. But any extreme or varied views please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    What is the important of US Pressure Groups in the political process?
    - I'm putting this thread here because no one ever reads the Government&Politics page.
    Anyway, so does anyone have any ideas on this? Obviously pressure groups increase pluralism and therefore democracy, etc etc. But any extreme or varied views please?
    Have you got a particular essay question on pressure groups that you need to answer or do you want some help on the topic as a whole?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw68)
    Have you got a particular essay question on pressure groups that you need to answer or do you want some help on the topic as a whole?
    No, well, I've found these bullet points:
    1. Types of pressure groups in the US
    2. Functions of US pressure groups
    3. Methods and tactics used by pressure groups
    4. Factors that affect the success of pressure groups
    5. Pressure groups in action
    6. Pluralism and elitism
    7. The importance of pressure groups in the US
    8. US pressure groups and democracy

I have made notes or found notes to cover all of the points in detail apart from number 7. It confuses me because it seems to overlap with 6 and 8.

I've no idea where I found these bulllet points, perhaps on the edexcel website.. but I've been trying to get back onto the site and it won't let me open up any documents...

I also have loads of notes on 527 groups and PACs but I've no idea where this comes into those bullet points..

I guess pass exam questions would really help :/ But I can't find any..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    No, well, I've found these bullet points:
    1. Types of pressure groups in the US
    2. Functions of US pressure groups
    3. Methods and tactics used by pressure groups
    4. Factors that affect the success of pressure groups
    5. Pressure groups in action
    6. Pluralism and elitism
    7. The importance of pressure groups in the US
    8. US pressure groups and democracy

I have made notes or found notes to cover all of the points in detail apart from number 7. It confuses me because it seems to overlap with 6 and 8.

I've no idea where I found these bulllet points, perhaps on the edexcel website.. but I've been trying to get back onto the site and it won't let me open up any documents...

I also have loads of notes on 527 groups and PACs but I've no idea where this comes into those bullet points..

I guess pass exam questions would really help :/ But I can't find any..
    The most popular long essay question relates to the effect of pressure group activity on democracy in America. Although when I did the exam there was a question which asked whether pressure groups had polarized society.

PACs and 527 groups could come into most of those bullet points but I would perhaps look in detail at their effects on democracy, such as how PACs contribute to the high incumbency rates in Congress.

The question of importance is quite vague so that could include a lot of things, but I think it is primarily looking for you to examine the significance of pressure group activity within the political process. You could talk about things like Iron Triangles here.

If you have any more questions about pressure groups or US politics in general feel free to PM me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.