Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sorting out my diet/exercise plan Watch

ReputationRep:
    I basically have been really unhealthy while at uni causing me to lose quite a bit of weight, to the point where family have been worried and concerned so over xmas, i know it seems silly as xmas is a lot about food i intend to make sure i eat enough (shouldnt be too hard) and exercise moderately (At uni i did a lot of undereating and over exercising, mainly due to homsickness, loneliness and exercising through boredom!

I am unsure of to how much I have messed up my body - metabolism etc but i will just have to see. On days except xmas day and boxing day i intend to eat around 1200-1500 more if more exercise etc. I dont want to increase it a lot as i am worried about lots of weight gain if i have affected my metabolism but i will see how things go.

I will eat 3 meals a day, snacking on fruit and veg in between.
    Breakfast will be porridge or cereal
    Lunch: veg soup and bread or egg sandwich, egg on toast etc. Really depends on the day..
    Tea: will try to include lots of veg and protein a bit of carbs.

Exercise will be running no more than 3x week. This week i will run today and fri i hope. Then on monday hopefully too.
    I will try and do some weights too, though not sure what i will use..any suggestions without having to buy them?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    right well yesterday didn't quite go to plan. It did in the day but i succombed to my usual evening snacking on unhealthy things.
    I had a yoghurt for breakfast then tomato and egg on toast for lunch and fruit. Then for tea a cheese and mushroom omlette with some chips. Then after I had a big slice of cake, some ice cream then at home we got out a box of chocolates which i had rather to many. Its weird i can eat soo much chocolate before i feel sick! Oh i had also had a kit kat in the day too. Ok yesterday was really bad!

But i ran for about 30mins and did quite a bit of walking and i do need to put a few pounds on but i feel so lousy when i eat rubbish! I also walked to the supermarket after i had eaten all that and was about an hour or so.

So today will hopefully be better, I have just walked to the library (30mins) and had some yoghurt and fruit. I am now going to do about 3hours work here, then will walk back (30 mins) then will probably have the same lunch as yesterday (tomato and poached egg on toast) then going to town to do some xmas shopping. Later i will walk to a friends then going to nandos, will get a chicken pitta and corn on the cob probably, then meant to be going out into town but i won't be drinking much, dont fancy feeling hungover tomorrow.
    I will also try and do a run tomorrow, about 30mins like yesterday.

x

ReputationRep:
    I think your body has gone into a catabolic state from the poor diet and the exercise.

What you really need to do is kick start everything. Your exercise while you saw as being a lot due to the lack of nutrition and energy (although I hazard a guess your diet was high sugar and fat) they would have been poor quality workouts.

Three balanced meals with fruit and nut snacks in between should do you. Simple stuff really take a standard plate, half of it should be veg, a quarter protein and a quarter carbs.

Couple of pieces of fruit and a handful of nuts in between and maybe a protein and carb shake post workout.

Exercise wise two sessions of HIIT a week, one steady state cardio and two full body resistance workouts will be fine for you.

This way you can gain healthy functional weight as you will have lost a lot of muscle mass with poor diet and overtraining. Build the muscle back healthily and minimise the fat gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    I think your body has gone into a catabolic state from the poor diet and the exercise.

What you really need to do is kick start everything. Your exercise while you saw as being a lot due to the lack of nutrition and energy (although I hazard a guess your diet was high sugar and fat) they would have been poor quality workouts.

Three balanced meals with fruit and nut snacks in between should do you. Simple stuff really take a standard plate, half of it should be veg, a quarter protein and a quarter carbs.

Couple of pieces of fruit and a handful of nuts in between and maybe a protein and carb shake post workout.

Exercise wise two sessions of HIIT a week, one steady state cardio and two full body resistance workouts will be fine for you.

This way you can gain healthy functional weight as you will have lost a lot of muscle mass with poor diet and overtraining. Build the muscle back healthily and minimise the fat gain.
    thanks, so will eating normally get me out of the catabolic state? Will i have damaged my metabolism? What about weight gain, i dont mind a bit but dont want to keep on gaining, will i as my body is not used to this much food and lesser exercise? i keep reading things on the internet about my body now being used to so little i will gain - like when people crash diet, also there is a lot about returning to my weight before plus extra pounds..how can i stop this but eating well and exercising normally again?
    what would a full body resistance work out be? i dont have access to a gym until middle of jan so what can i do without?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Three balanced meals with fruit and nut snacks in between should do you.
    Keep with it - Allow yourself one or two treats a week.

A sample day should be something like
    Breakfast - 2/3 Egg Omelette+Mushrooms+Onions+Tomato es(Diced)
    Lunch - Chicken Breast+Avocado+Tomato+Cheese in a Baguette
    Dinner - Tuna Steak+Mixed Veggies+Soba Noodles

Add 2 pieces of fruit and plenty of water.
    Don't forget a decent multivitamin. I recommend Timed Release from H&B.

I'd disagree with MattGriff just because you probably don't need to do that much exercise.
    Try adding stretching to your workout, steady state cardio and a full body resistance workout. If you have spare time, Pilates and Yoga are amazing.

Join a decent gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile-Like-You-Mean-It)
    right well yesterday didn't quite go to plan. It did in the day but i succombed to my usual evening snacking on unhealthy things.
    I had a yoghurt for breakfast then tomato and egg on toast for lunch and fruit. Then for tea a cheese and mushroom omlette with some chips. Then after I had a big slice of cake, some ice cream then at home we got out a box of chocolates which i had rather to many. Its weird i can eat soo much chocolate before i feel sick! Oh i had also had a kit kat in the day too. Ok yesterday was really bad!

But i ran for about 30mins and did quite a bit of walking and i do need to put a few pounds on but i feel so lousy when i eat rubbish! I also walked to the supermarket after i had eaten all that and was about an hour or so.

So today will hopefully be better, I have just walked to the library (30mins) and had some yoghurt and fruit. I am now going to do about 3hours work here, then will walk back (30 mins) then will probably have the same lunch as yesterday (tomato and poached egg on toast) then going to town to do some xmas shopping. Later i will walk to a friends then going to nandos, will get a chicken pitta and corn on the cob probably, then meant to be going out into town but i won't be drinking much, dont fancy feeling hungover tomorrow.
    I will also try and do a run tomorrow, about 30mins like yesterday.

x
    balanced diet, don't over do it in terms of the eating or working out, if you did "damage" your metabolism look out for some disappointment at first but it will normalise, keep away from the sugars and too much unhealthy fat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.