Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't get to sleep with my boyfriend Watch

Anon or delete, as he uses TSR.

I've been with my boyfriend for 10 months and have slept in the same bed with him about once a week during that time. However, I find it so difficult to actually fall asleep and even when I do I regularly wake up. We sleep close together, ie. my head on his chest/arm, or spooning, but even when we roll over and sleep apart I am still so perceptive to any slight noise or movement he makes. It really annoys me because I am then tired for the rest of the day from lack of sleep. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Don't sleep in the same bed. It's pretty simple and there's no way around it, unless you fancy gagging him and putting him in a straight jacket every night.

ReputationRep:
    inb4 chloroform, rohypnol etc.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, but you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't have that problem with me. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Lorazepam should sort that out.

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping tablets? So much sex you can't physically stay awake?...aside from that, I'm all out of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you just have to get used to sleeping with other people? It'll happen, eventually, until then maybe have a hot drink before you go to bed or something

(Original post by theths)
    I guess you just have to get used to sleeping with other people? It'll happen, eventually, until then maybe have a hot drink before you go to bed or something
    Yeah, I just thought after 10 months I would be used to it by now.

ReputationRep:
    Convert to Islam. That should solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you something to neg rep people about who are trying to help OP, maybe you're just frigid and uptight. There, I said it.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem when I stayed at my bf's home. I had difficulties falling asleep. I can't fall asleep if someone is really close to me, like spooning. I just get annoyed when someone is having their arms around me all the time and when you try to move them they put them back. Or when I tried to move away he moved too after awhile. Usually when he fell asleep I went to living room and slept on a couch. He always got annoyed but it was the only way I could have fallen asleep. It's really hard to relax if you have to be in one position and it gets really hot.

(Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    I'll give you something to neg rep people about who are trying to help OP, maybe you're just frigid and uptight. There, I said it.
    Whaa?? I didn't give you neg rep, I actually thought your post was quite funny, but unfortunately being exhausted from sex still doesn't get me too sleep. Pah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete, as he uses TSR.

I've been with my boyfriend for 10 months and have slept in the same bed with him about once a week during that time. However, I find it so difficult to actually fall asleep and even when I do I regularly wake up. We sleep close together, ie. my head on his chest/arm, or spooning, but even when we roll over and sleep apart I am still so perceptive to any slight noise or movement he makes. It really annoys me because I am then tired for the rest of the day from lack of sleep. Any advice?
    I have a family member who has suffered from a condition known as insomnia for 10 years. Check out this condition on the internet and see if it compares to your symptoms. good luck xx

(Original post by alloysspinnin)
    I have a family member who has suffered from a condition known as insomnia for 10 years. Check out this condition on the internet and see if it compares to your symptoms. good luck xx
    I know what insomnia is! I don't have insomnia as I sleep perfectly fine and get into a very deep sleep when I'm alone. It's just with someone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alloysspinnin)
    Insomnia is more that you just can't sleep in general though, right? I think the issue is just the lack of space, confined conditions and general awkwardness of the sleeping position. Maybe getting a Massive bed would help? lol else, find a position you can sleep in and ensure that he stay there haha.

ReputationRep:
    atleast you are allowed to sleep with your boyfriend in the same bed.
    i've been with mine for 11 months (this sunday) and my mum still wont let us.

why don't you do the easy thing, and just tell the boyfriend?
    i'm sure he'll understand and help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    You wouldn't have that problem with me. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Is this a single bed or a double bed?

(Original post by robynroo)
    atleast you are allowed to sleep with your boyfriend in the same bed.
    i've been with mine for 11 months (this sunday) and my mum still wont let us.

why don't you do the easy thing, and just tell the boyfriend?
    i'm sure he'll understand and help you.
    Yeah my parents are fine with it, I'm 20 anyway so I can do what I like tbh. But we have our own places too so that makes it nicer.

He knows that I wake up a lot, but then I think he does too because when I can't sleep I get really fidgety and move around a lot, so wake up him... and it's just an endless cycle! I think we're both just very move-around-a lot-during-sleep people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.