Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can anyone give me some explanation about how we assign absorption bands for phenyl ring in UV-vis spectroscopy?also confusing about their range and ???* transitions.hoping.

warm regards

ReputationRep:
    or we couln't assign phneyl rings,only assign pi to pi* but how their range?anybody help pls.

ReputationRep:
    Generally you would see Pi to Pi* bands on a phenyl ring in the far UV region around 200-300nm I believe (if my memory of organic serves me well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    Generally you would see Pi to Pi* bands on a phenyl ring in the far UV region around 200-300nm I believe (if my memory of organic serves me well).
    oohh,how about their molar absorptivity values joshed?am i right it is above 10 000?i have run my compounds which have phenyl ring in dichloromethane solvent. thus. i'll assume cutoff of dichloromethane overlapping with phenyl ring if you said pi to pi* bands at around 200-300 nm.am i right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidayah)
    oohh,how about their molar absorptivity values joshed?am i right it is above 10 000?i have run my compounds which have phenyl ring in dichloromethane solvent. thus. i'll assume cutoff of dichloromethane overlapping with phenyl ring if you said pi to pi* bands at around 200-300 nm.am i right?
    I couldn't possible comment for a particular compound but a generalisation. Genereally you would see a molar absorbance above 10000 because Pi to Pi* is formally aloud transition and I would expect to see it around the 200-300 nm region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    I couldn't possible comment for a particular compound but a generalisation. Genereally you would see a molar absorbance above 10000 because Pi to Pi* is formally aloud transition and I would expect to see it around the 200-300 nm region.
    Alright really Thanks joshed for the info their range at least i got ranging and transition which coould be.
    i'm happy atleast i have the answer that.
    Many thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.