The Student Room Group

Tuition Fees increase is going to effect me.Simple!

ok, so i am in year 11 and i just realized about this tuition fees fiasco is going to effect me hard, because this will take effect in 2012 (i think) and when i finish my a-levels(hopefully)this whole thing is going to come right on my face. to tell you the truth i did no about this situation in the news but didn't take notice until my friend told me this will effect me DIRECTLY and i am not rich, so shall i do? shall i do something now about it?

i know i am not the only one out there, but lets just say its for everybody in this situation and are asking these questions about their future.

please don't put hate comments if i seem stupid or whatever,just help me try and give positive advice.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No way!! Its going to affect me too! high five! except I'll have to fork out the 9k from my own pocket.

Your thread is pointless it effects everyone whos planning on going to uni although you get a loan so it doesn't matter so much.
Original post by renlok
No way!! Its going to affect me too! high five! except I'll have to fork out the 9k from my own pocket.

Your thread is pointless it effects everyone whos planning on going to uni although you get a loan so it doesn't matter so much.

ok dont call my thread pointless..lol..(as if it were something i treasure):eek:.
just tell me why i am wrong?
Reply 3
You will hopefully still get a loan to cover the cost, so it is pointless worrying. Plus you'll also have the advantage of only paying it back when you earn £21k instead of £15k as it is currently.
Get a job where you earn <21k or live abroad.
Reply 5
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
ok, so i am in year 11 and i just realized about this tuition fees fiasco is going to effect me hard, because this will take effect in 2012 (i think) and when i finish my a-levels(hopefully)this whole thing is going to come right on my face. to tell you the truth i did no about this situation in the news but didn't take notice until my friend told me this will effect me DIRECTLY and i am not rich, so shall i do? shall i do something now about it?

i know i am not the only one out there, but lets just say its for everybody in this situation and are asking these questions about their future.

please don't put hate comments if i seem stupid or whatever,just help me try and give positive advice.

Thanks!

There are still grants, student loans, and help available. If you're very poor, you may get the first two years free. Also, you don't have to pay it back until you earn over £21,000, and the repayments are very low, so you should be fine.
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

Thanks!

It's fine, go to uni being loaned the full amount, then pay back a small amount back each year which you won't even see as your employer will deduct it off. You will actually have more disposable income per year under the new system than someone earning the same amount under the old system :tongue: so pros and cons etc!

Please don't let the fees put you off; if you can't afford to pay it back, you don't pay it back. It's nothing like a mortgage when men come around and take away your DVD player and then you lose the house. Nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 7
like everyone else has said you still take out a loan. You dont start paying back until you earn 21k not like the 15k it is now. The only difference is you will be paying it back for longer.
Reply 8
Like others have said, it's not all bad as the point you have to start paying it back is £6000 higher.
It will be affecting me too, and though it is rubbish, it could be a whole lot worse. Hey, I might just go to drama school or something, the price difference isn't so much anymore :P
Reply 9
inb4 grammar nazis 'effect'
Original post by .Ali.
There are still grants, student loans, and help available. If you're very poor, you may get the first two years free. Also, you don't have to pay it back until you earn over £21,000, and the repayments are very low, so you should be fine.

...?

ok,
have a 300,000 pounds debt
BUT DON'T WORRY, as soon as you earn over 21,000 you can pay it off!
WHO THE HELL GOES INTO UNIVERSITY WITHOUT THE PROSPECT OF GETTING INTO A DECENT JOB
REMEMBER - YOU PAY OF MULTIPLE THE TIMES AND AMMOUNT OF THE COST REQUIRED TO EDUCATE YOU IN TERMS OF YOUR WORKING TAX
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD INVEST IN YOU, BECAUSE YOU WILL BE A TAX PAYER
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.
You didn't KNOW that the fees are going to AFFECT you.

Good grief.
Reply 12
Original post by sixthformer
...?

ok,
WHO THE HELL GOES INTO UNIVERSITY WITHOUT THE PROSPECT OF GETTING INTO A DECENT JOB
REMEMBER - YOU PAY OF MULTIPLE THE TIMES AND AMMOUNT OF THE COST REQUIRED TO EDUCATE YOU IN TERMS OF YOUR WORKING TAX
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

You clearly don't understand how the system works.
...?

ok,
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

Really confused by that post. Where did £300,000 come from?
Reply 14
...?

ok,
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

woah there, someone's passionate.
Reply 15
...?

ok,
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

Pretty sure thats not true.
see guys thats what i want to hear, good positve feedback.
thankyou tsr!
...?

ok,
DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

Original post by Orwell
Pretty sure thats not true.

Original post by dudleyian
Really confused by that post. Where did £300,000 come from?

Silly, silly child.
The "government" is not investing in anyone,- it the the tax payer. Do you think this money just appears?
The current system means that current tax payers subsidise half of the cost of tuition.
You're so typical, you silly silly person.

Please understand the situation and keep clam, you lose all credibility when you throw a tantrum.

Grow the hell up.

University is an investment in yourself, and hence therefore, the tax payer is allowing the investment to take place for everyone still, just when it pays off, you start returning the cost of the investment. Do not forget how systems in the US operate,- there is very limited government/tax payer support for students.

It's a progressive and fairer system. £300,00!? Where are you getting the figures from? You sound like a broken record, this is not going to be the cost of anyone's loan. Anyhow, even if it was, it gets written off after a number of years, and is paid back in small amounts, £9 in everyone £150 earned over £21,000. I'd say that is a far investment.

Remember when you say "the government should...", it's tax payers money being used.

The grant is being increased,- this is direct help to the poorest students. THE POOREST STUDENTS GET THE MOST HELP,- It is the middle class who time and time again lose out. "Rich Pigs" has nothing to do with it.
My Dad pays high rate tax, but does not have enough money to pay my fees,- I won't get a grant and will get limited support from my Dad who earns over 60K a year,- might sound like a lot, but a household earning £22K a year with receive more support than I do,- i'm not complaining, I know that this is fair.

Also remember, it is the GRADUATE who pays, not the student.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by renlok

Loans?
Reply 19

DEATH TO THE TORIES
CORRUPT PIGS
i have lost patience.

So... those more able to pay back the loans will be paying them back. This policy will mean that only those that benefit from the education (those that become richer) will be paying more money. How does this justify "death to the tories" (being an economically left-wing policy in real terms)? It just means the money will be coming from those that benefit rather than other taxes.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending