Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling inadequate at the family Christmas gathering Watch

My family gets together properly at Christmas and I always get the same questions aimed at me:

"are you seeing anyone special?"
    "what did you get in your exams?"

... And I always feel inadequate answering them. I feel like I'm a disappointment to my extended family. I must admit I am a bit of a nerd.

How's it around yours at Xmas?

ReputationRep:
    fairly similar

ReputationRep:
    Take off your glasses. Gel up your hair. And lie and say you are banging some hot blonde. Then their xmas will be ****, and you'll get much joy out of that.

ReputationRep:
    Similar experience made worse by the fact that my cousins are a bunch of overacheiving ****ers.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I get the 3rd degree about the ladies.

If I were to tell the truth ("Every time I go out I'm mashed on some sort of drug"), it would cause all sorts of problems. So I just grin and bear it, then get away from those ***** ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Not normally. Other than, 'are you seeing anyone?' I get away pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Questions about girlfriends and jobs always annoy me too. I just want to chill out at christmas not be interrogated.

ReputationRep:
    Extended family can be hard to get on with, for sure...

My Grandma has always 'compared' her grandchildren. I have a cousin who is just 18 months older than me, so we have always been compared. I never seem to be good enough, no matter what I do. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I am happy with where my life is going, and I genuinely wouldn't wish to swap lives [I couldn't be a mother of a four year old now!], so that is the main thing.

Try not to let them get to you. I'm sure you are not a disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    Get the same. 'Do you have a boyfriend?' 'What are your exam results?' 'Why aren't your applying to Oxbridge?' 'Why on earth would you want to be a teacher?' I hate it, makes Christmas suck having to defend myself constantly

ReputationRep:
    What is with parents/grandparents etc asking if you've got a boyfriend/girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    The only people I see at Christmas are family, and I talk to them a lot, so no I don't get asked all these questions.

ReputationRep:
    My Irish Grandmother is adamant that all lawyers are out to get her and that I am some insider of theirs who is trying to scam her out of her riches.

The other half of my family are probably quite pleased I'm going on to study law. They're exceedingly middle class so I've probably done just enough to please them.

ReputationRep:
    Alway get the 'how are you doing at college?' 'you'll be applying to university soon won't you?' from my grandparents. I'm the most academic of the 5 grandchildren, so you'd think I'd be in the clear, but the fact of the matter is I could be doing better but I've lost the will to care and I don't want to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    What is with parents/grandparents etc asking if you've got a boyfriend/girlfriend?
    I don't know... But it is really annoying.

It is the first thing one of my cousins says to me, everytime I see him. If I say "no", he then says "it's okay, I won't tell your dad, so you can tell me". Argh! I really don't understand why it is such a popular topic for families to bring up. Surely if you were with someone you really liked, they will hear about it in due course anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had the problem before so much but since I started seeing this guy in the summer, it has been a question put to me several times. My dad even asked if he would be over for christmas. Well, I can't exactly tell them that it's just a FWB thing can I? >__<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    The only people I see at Christmas are family, and I talk to them a lot, so no I don't get asked all these questions.
    Who is the girl in your sig??!

ReputationRep:
    I always get the "so you got a boyfriend yet then?" but tbh, I get asked that throughout the year not just Christmas. It gets a bit embarassing saying "no not yet" every single time but meh, what can you do!

ReputationRep:
    Not having to deal with this crap, makes me love my family.

ReputationRep:
    I get regular sex and I've been accepted to become an Officer in the Royal Navy so my family's pretty proud of me right now...

My family is really small anyway - my Grandparents only have two grandchildren so we're treated equally.

ReputationRep:
    i just get asked if my brother has killed my boyfriend yet
    nope not yet nan, thanks for that reminder
    merry christmas

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.