Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at a 4 year masters course in physics with a year abroad in CERN.
    I tried to have a look at some info on the course but i keep coming up blank. just wondering if there was any extra information out there on it because i really want to do this course but i don't know how competitive it is.

ReputationRep:
    What is the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry put it up there now

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you mean the physics course. I applied for Southampton last year, so I know a bit about it.

Basically, they ask people in 2nd year who wants to do it, as you have an accelerated 3rd year (I think) to make up for the fact you'll be in CERN for your fourth year.

They said to me that as long as you're getting a first, they'll make spaces for all the people who want to go. It is an amazing opportunity, good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    So i basically apply for particle physics 4 year course and then i ask in my 2nd year if i want to go or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdrianCross)
    So i basically apply for particle physics 4 year course and then i ask in my 2nd year if i want to go or not?
    Yep, it's very easy to switch between any of the physics courses - e.g. if you apply for straight Physics, you can switch to Physics with Maths or Physics with Astrophysics etc very easily in the first term... it's just about what optional modules you do

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the chances of this still being available by the time the 4th year comes around if you enter the course this autumn?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.