Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this a new brand that has suddenly appeared/ suddenly become popular, or have I just not previously noticed or heard of it?
    I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware what Jack Wills was until I joined TSR.
    Shed any light?
    And also, why is it in particular associated with "rah" type stuff, moreso than... I dunno, Zara or Topman or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    It's very preppy, most consider it similar to Abercrombie, its also quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree.

Apparently black people that wear Jack Wills are 'white on the inside' and white people that wear it are rahs.

When I googled it, it showed mostly patterned clothes, or clothes with Jack Willis written on them.

ReputationRep:
    ghhghg

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills has been around for years.. it only became popular when all the chavs started wearing it

ReputationRep:
    its been popular for a couple of years, but it is expensive and there are not many shops around. It is a very preppy style, but a British version of Abercrombie - it uses tartan, tweed patterns etc. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Is this a new brand that has suddenly appeared/ suddenly become popular, or have I just not previously noticed or heard of it?
    Shed any light?
    And also, why is it in particular associated with "rah" type stuff, moreso than... I dunno, Zara or Topman or whatever?
    It's big in university towns.
    Gets a lot to stick for being overpriced and the people who wear it are wannabes and etc.
    Zara and Topshop are hardly "rah" :')
    Jack Wills is basically the clothes that the private school kids wear (not all, and also others wear it too!) but it's that lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Its a rah shop which thinks it is incredibly upper class and produces amazing clothes...in reality it is an arrogant shop where annoying rahs go and the clothes are overpriced and not on par with real expensive, good quality shops

(also is a rural thing, i never heard of it before i moved to the southwest, london i had never seen it

ReputationRep:
    It's been around for a while.
    Top brand, high quality, reasonably priced in my opinion. People are just used to cheap clothing these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    Its a rah shop which thinks it is incredibly upper class and produces amazing clothes...in reality it is an arrogant shop where annoying rahs go and the clothes are overpriced and not on par with real expensive, good quality shops

(also is a rural thing, i never heard of it before i moved to the southwest, london i had never seen it
    "Incredibly upper class" - no it's not :') It's an upper-middle class thing. Nothing more.
    "arrogant shop" - they aren't portraying an image saying "we're better than you" just some kids that buy it do that.
    "no on par with real expensive, good quality shops" - no, nor is it trying to be. it's not exclusive enough to be haute couture, also it is good quality i own some many items from there that have lasted years and years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    contrary to what is said above, Jack Wills USED to be what was really fashionable at public schools, when it was this small company which just sent out catalogues to the boarding houses of good schools.

Now most don't touch it because it is pretty much the brand for people who desperately want to look like they go to a public school, wannabe social climbers from the north and essex etc.

Now many people buy it becuase it is what they think 'posh people' wear.
    That small company that used to be fashionable was just the first step in becoming huge. To make people want your product, you first make it exclusive, look at how facebook started, only ivy leagues first. Did most people want facebook because they thought that only elites and intelligents use it? No, because it's a great product.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm a fan of tweed, tartan, rugby polo shirts etc. I didn't really like the styling of it to be honest. It's very basic, just the average hoodie or shirt with Jack Wills written across it. I don't mind paying up that sort of money but only if it's good fashionable clothes.

I must say the material quality of the clothes is really good, but the style just doesn't appeal to me at all tbh. Plus for the same kind of money you can shop at Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss and all the other mid-range designer brands.

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills is 'rah'-ish because it's so bloody expensive for clothes that are of a relatively low quality. A run-of-the-mill jumper costs £70! :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Shed any light?
    It's not new, but they rely on viral marketing, so unless you know someone who wears it, or live near a shop, you may not have heard of it. I personally think it's brilliant. www.jackwills.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    Jack Wills is 'rah'-ish because it's so bloody expensive for clothes that are of a relatively low quality. A run-of-the-mill jumper costs £70! :L
    it's not low quality!!! do you own anything from there as proof?? Seriously, it's all really good quality stuff. Lasts yonks. Doesn't go out of fashion either depending on the items you buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)

Arrogant? Hardly. You're clearly just jealous that you can't have it. They're not overpriced at all, and they're good quality. You get what you pay for. Don't like it, don't shop there. But stop insulting all of us who do just because you're jealous. Oh and they have 5 shops in London, so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    It's not low quality. Their stuff lasts for ages, it doesn't go out of shape, and the attention to detail is brilliant. For example, my stripey navy jumper from there. The stripes at the front are exactly matched at the seams so it joins perfectly. It's so beautiful. :') £70 for a good quality hoody isn't bad actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's not low quality. Their stuff lasts for ages, it doesn't go out of shape, and the attention to detail is brilliant. For example, my stripey navy jumper from there. The stripes at the front are exactly matched at the seams so it joins perfectly. It's so beautiful. :') £70 for a good quality hoody isn't bad actually.
    I agree, the attention to detail, the linings, trims and buttons. I like what I like. If it's nice I'll buy it. If it's just a T shirt I wouldn't pay £30, i buy based on value and quality.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has just made me painfully aware of the fact I am currently wearing a Jack Wills hoody... up until now it was just my nice soft cosy grey jumper. Now it feels tainted by Rahness, chavs and hatred

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills has been around for quite a while, I went to a posh school so it was pretty de rigueur to wear their clothing, I haven't bought anything from there because, frankly I look like a douche in it.

I read a Guardian article where the journalist made a quip about there being a "Charge it to Daddy" button on the till. That pretty much sums it up!

I don't know what they're like quality wise, but they seem to be good for smart-casual. It's a shame, I can only really do very smart or vert casual, nothing in between suits me :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.