Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll; how satisified are you with your teachers? Watch

• View Poll Results: How satisfied are/were you with your teachers?
    Excellent
    20.72%
    Good
    29.73%
    Average
    30.63%
    Poor
    19.82%
    Incompetent
    18.92%
    I think being able to judge teachers competence is a good idea
    27.03%
    I think being able to judge teachers' competence is a bad idea
    6.31%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

This poll asks you;
    are you satisified with your teachers (those you have had and your current ones)
    would you say any of them was bad/incompetent?
    is there anything you would like to change; for example being able to give a mark to your teacher?

Cheers for answering, and please do not let personal grudges against a teacher cloud your judgement.

ReputationRep:
    In my school there are some really good teachers and some really bad teachers. Some I can't stand. For example, my science teacher. She never marks coursework and I think she is just plain lazy. My sister was marked down a grade in her GCSE's 2 years ago because this very teacher had said that her coursework had been A* standard when it had actually been B standard (probably a quick lie to avoid having to actually mark the coursework).

ReputationRep:
    My AS oral was conducted wrong by a new Spanish teacher I got half way through the year. Difference between me getting a B and a C and not being able to apply for certain courses - fantastic. Her English wasn't fantastic (though that's the trade-off for being a native speaker so I can deal with that) so the odd topics and translations came to be a bit problematic.

I've found the odd new teacher to be very frustrating because they haven't familiarised themselves with the exam boards so they don't really know what they should be giving you in some cases.

A Spanish GCSE teacher, (English; not native) I ended up with, claimed my coursework was fantastic (at draft point) etc. Came back and I got a C. School predictions were at minimum an A and so I expected her to come back to me and say "work on it, or expand on this" rather than just submitting it. Thankfully, I did well enough on the oral and written exams to still get an A.

Most teaching has been of good quality though, aside from the odd case or two. Though, my college are very quick to act on it and have sorted things out very well.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers are the best ^^ I feel very lucky to have them.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say. I had some excellent teachers and some utterly terrible teachers.

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher last year was terrible but my maths teacher this year is fantastic. My chemistry teach is brilliant and so are all the others my college employs. For Biology I have had two opposite extremes for teachers and both are brilliant, it's hard to adjust though.

ReputationRep:
    Some good. Some bad.

At the moment (in University), the majority of my seminar leaders lack the ability to teach.

ReputationRep:
    I got really lucky this year, all my teachers are pretty good. Although the downside is that I will only have myself to blame when I fail. C'est la vie. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    one of my englit teachers and my maths/stats teachers are reaaaally good
    biology is so-so
    but chemistry/one englit teacher/psychology are just terrible :|
    oh well, our school keeps going on about 'independent learning', guess that's more work for me then

ReputationRep:
    At college they weren't great, confusion with exam boards ect.
    At university they are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher is absolutely diabolical. Once, he accused me of making a mistake in my work and when we looked at the mark scheme it turned out that I was right. Not only that, we then proceeded to try and spot his mistake for the next half an hour! :banghead: He always feels the need to write on top of my work only to cover up all his mistakes (which there are a lot of) with stickylabels. Everyone is prone to mistakes and he obviously knows his stuff however he can't teach to save his life. Although I can't forget the day he said to me: "To be perfectly honest, I don't actually understand this." :toofunny::bawling: It is for this reason I taught myself all of A-level maths.

ReputationRep:
    But on the bright side my English teacher is bloody brilliant!
    :adore::awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel2010)
    In my school there are some really good teachers and some really bad teachers. Some I can't stand. For example, my science teacher. She never marks coursework and I think she is just plain lazy. My sister was marked down a grade in her GCSE's 2 years ago because this very teacher had said that her coursework had been A* standard when it had actually been B standard (probably a quick lie to avoid having to actually mark the coursework).
    You do realise all coursework has to be marked and moderated?
    Otherwise you wouldn't get a grade.

Sometimes teachers make mistakes when marking, over estimating the value of answers,- when moderated grades have to be changed in comparison to other people.

You might see the teacher as lazy, I can't comment.
    But she does and must mark coursework.
    Unless you've got proof?

ReputationRep:
    My History teacher is excellent. My English, Maths and Politics teachers are between "average" and "good".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    I'm not the person you quoted but there are lazy techers who can't be bothered to mark coursework properly. An old teacher in my school got sacked for this reason so it does happen. Thank God, he was never my teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I have some utterly fabulous teachers - especially English & RE, and to some extent Maths & History. Then again I have some diabolical teachers like my Physics teacher, and some average teachers like my French teacher. . I know all the teachers (even the ones I don't have) at my school quite well and I'd say they are generally great, I just happen to have some of the worst! My best friend, for example has 3 great science teachers, whereas I have one average and one incompetent - but I think the the sheer brilliance (yes, I have quite a severe case of hero-worship ) of my English teacher makes up for that. I'm lucky in that I yet on with my teachers fairly well, I can see objectively that for some pupils they are not as nice or understanding though, and certainly not as funny.

EDIT: also, my class is "The worst top set I have ever taught, ever" and "the most talkative class ever!" so a lot of teachers can't control us! My Maths teacher thinks it's more because we are all bright and over enthusiastic, and happen to gel very well as a group, than because we're actually disruptive though!

ReputationRep:
    Satisfactory. My maths teacher has issues controlling the class, although she is a good teacher, the former lets her lesson quality down.

I always find I get the worst science teachers :/ especially biology and physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    But on the bright side my English teacher is bloody brilliant!
    :adore::awesome:
    yay for English teachers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    I'm not the person you quoted but there are lazy techers who can't be bothered to mark coursework properly. An old teacher in my school got sacked for this reason so it does happen. Thank God, he was never my teacher.
    Yea, my old assistant head teacher who was ace didn't do the drama coursework properly.
    But I'm guessing as she's saying she does not mark it, she does.
    I mean, two years ago he mentions there was an issue,- my faith says she'd be reprimanded by now.

ReputationRep:
    My old history teacher from GCSE was a legend, but the worst teacher I've ever had was my year 10 maths teacher who was TERRIBLE!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.