Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour is making a tit of itself in opposition Watch

ReputationRep:
    Labour's portrayal of the coalition government is laughable.

All this talk of 'extreme right wing government'; 'rightwing coalition dominated by the Conservatives' is utterly laughable. Calling Cameron 'extreme right wing' is like the Tea Party calling Obama 'extreme left wing'.

It seems the party line is to try to dig up the old anti-Tory 'Nasty Party' chestnut. This, I imagine, will fail spectacularly.

ReputationRep:
    This coalition is more right wing than was expected, I think this is the reason for all the right wing remarks. Cameron always came across as quite to the left of his party, "compassionate conservatism" etc. It seems he isn't as small c conservative as was thought. But no, I hardly think they're borderline fascists.

ReputationRep:
    omdz david "hitler" cameron zmg

seriously though, surely you cant argue too much with the claim that the Conservatives dominate the coalition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    omdz david "hitler" cameron zmg

seriously though, surely you cant argue too much with the claim that the Conservatives dominate the coalition?
    Well they do dominate the coalition because they go more votes. What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Well they do dominate the coalition because they go more votes. What's wrong with that?
    Please locate where I said that it was a problem. OP said that was what labour claimed and I am asking why this constitutes labour making a tit of itself if it is true?

why not read what I said and not try and look for a fight

ReputationRep:
    First people complain that Labour aren't doing enough in opposition, now they are doing too much?

Good strategy imo. Get some decent media exposure in the run up to Christmas and then consolidate their gains in the 1st quarter of next year when the cuts really start to affect people.

ReputationRep:
    Labour has always made a tit of itself.

ReputationRep:
    Just seems odd of Labour to oppose something that they originally wanted. Where's Wikileaks when you need them...

ReputationRep:
    Labour is pretty much a non opposition.

That said the Tories and Liberals need to start taking responsibility and focusing on business not keeping harping on about "Labour left us bankrupt". Yeah we get the picture, we've been hearing this since the election. The Irish government left the Irish more bankrupt than Labour left us, the Greek government left the Greeks more bankrupt than Labour left us, even in the US they keep going on about how the Republicans destroyed the countries finances so its not Obamas fault he inherited such a mess yadayada. The global financial crisis put us all in a bad mess, our monetary independence and the Bank of England has helped keep our heads above water, now lets move on and climb out of it, every time I hear a minister start harping on about Labour did this it makes me think here's a guy without a solution, so he's getting in his excuses in advance.

With Ed personality less Miliband in charge, the Labour party isn't a serious threat atm so its a chance to govern and not bother taking political potshots. Cameron should deal with Miliband the way Blair did with Hague in his first term, he barely acknowledged him.

ReputationRep:
    I notice he has started using the phrase 'Tory led Government'. Well, duhhh!!!

ReputationRep:
    They do seem pretty helpless, they seem to just oppose every decision the government makes. Saying that, people aren't going to like the cuts and this will obviously look favourably on the Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of the Conservatives but I would have to agree with you there, it's petty.

ReputationRep:
    WhatI'm finding really interesting is how the strongest "anti-cuts" campaigning is being done outside of Parliament's debates. The very difficult questions are not being put to ministers by MPs - of all parties. I'd like to see a much more forensic approach to quesionning & less of the party-political bombasstic speeches which, in the grand scgeme of things are very easy for ministers to ignore or put down.

What's also changed things is that there are no longer two main opposition parties. Do people have any thoughts on the impact of this - ie the lack of resourced alternative political party?

ReputationRep:
    Meh. The opposition has it very easy.

Everybody saw it coming; unpopular decisions that had to be made that no one will enjoy.

All Labour needs to do is play devil's advocate and sit tight.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair they are being fairly radical and very, very ambitious with there reforms of health, education, welfare and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    Please locate where I said that it was a problem. OP said that was what labour claimed and I am asking why this constitutes labour making a tit of itself if it is true?

why not read what I said and not try and look for a fight
    I just read it as a criticism of the coalition, don't bite my head off.

ReputationRep:
    I just read it as a criticism of the coalition, don't bite my head off.
    despite there being no criticism

ReputationRep:
    despite there being no criticism
    It was just the way it was worded, I thought the 'seriously though' bit was you stopping being ironically anti-tory and switching to straight out anti-tory.

I guess I expect the worst in everyone

ReputationRep:
    It was just the way it was worded, I thought the 'seriously though' bit was you stopping being ironically anti-tory and switching to straight out anti-tory.

I guess I expect the worst in everyone
    you made me so angry I snapped my favourite pen! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i think if your party has been in government for 13 years and made as much of a mess as they did, they should just stfu for at least 2 years before they start pointing fingers and kicking up a fuss about everything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.