Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do I have so many problems getting my doctor to believe me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Every time, he asks me how much alcohol I drink in a week. Every time, I say none ... and cue suspicious glare and further questioning along the lines of, "Are you sure? It's confidential, you know..."

I don't have any medical problems that would be caused by drinking - they're all ear problems or asthma problems, both of which I've had since early childhood, or migraine problems, which are a family trait in both maternal and paternal family which he's aware of, seeing as he's also their doctor.

So why does he not believe me? Is there any reasoning behind it, or is it purely because I'm a young adult with no obvious reasons for not drinking alcohol (eg, I'm white English so probably not a religious conflict)?

ReputationRep:
    Because you're a student?

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar response when I went for a blood test at the doctors and she noticed some weird little bruises on my veins that had somehow appeared after a night out.

When I told her I wasn't sure how I got them because it had been my birthday and I'd got a little too drunk, she went into full interrogatory mode. What had I drunk? How many glasses? Well, what size glasses was that? Sigh. I told her, repeatedly, that it is very very rare I get that drunk but she still looked suspicious.

Seriously though, I think I have been that smashed 3 times before - and I'm 20. I don't make a habit of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    is it purely because I'm a young adult with no obvious reasons for not drinking alcohol (eg, I'm white English so probably not a religious conflict)?
    Yes.

My nurse keeps asking me if I want a chlamydia test, despite already having had one, and not changed sexual partner.

What she is essentially asking me, is: Have you cheated? Do you think your partner has cheated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Yes.

My nurse keeps asking me if I want a chlamydia test, despite already having had one, and not changed sexual partner.

What she is essentially asking me, is: Have you cheated? Do you think your partner has cheated?
    Somehow, I never have this problem - they're quite happy to believe I'm not sexually active, just refuse to believe I don't drink. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I get this a lot. How many units? I probably average one a week. Are you sure? You know what a unit is, don't you? Yes, yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    Us the under 25s are the bunch nobody believes a word we say!! My doc asks me similar questions regularly. Do you smoke? How much had you drunk the past week? Do you want a chlamydia test? I just laugh away everytime I hear these questions. I take them as jokes now. But on a serious note, if your doc keeps asking you and you are bothered by it, which seem you are then why don't you ask him why does he keep asking you the same question? Or better still if you don't already have a good relationship with your current GP then you can always change to another one within the same place or a new practice all together.

(Original post by ExTraP)
      Us the under 25s are the bunch nobody believes a word we say!! My doc asks me similar questions regularly. Do you smoke? How much had you drunk the past week? Do you want a chlamydia test? I just laugh away everytime I hear these questions. I take them as jokes now. But on a serious note, if your doc keeps asking you and you are bothered by it, which seem you are then why don't you ask him why does he keep asking you the same question? Or better still if you don't already have a good relationship with your current GP then you can always change to another one within the same place or a new practice all together.
      They ask them because the government dictates that in order to get funding they must have answers from a certain proportion of their patients.

ReputationRep:
      The look on the hot young female doctors face when I said I hadn't been drunk for a year, and wasn't sexully active at nearly 17 :sad:

Why was she there that week instead of my normal nerdy middle aged male doctor? Why?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Steevee)
      The look on the hot young female doctors face when I said I hadn't been drunk for a year, and wasn't sexully active at nearly 17 :sad:

Why was she there that week instead of my normal nerdy middle aged male doctor? Why?!
      :teehee:
      :console:

OP, I get the same thing!
      'Do you drink?'
      'No.'
      *raised eyebrow* 'Are you sure?'
      'Yes!'
      'When was the last time you drank?'
      'About 5 years ago?'
      'How much did you have?'
      'A sip...'
      'Was it a big sip or a little sip?'
      :facepalm:

I also got asked if I had a boyfriend, if I had a girlfriend (!), if I was sexually active and then if I smoked and at the end, as an afterthought, if I was promiscuous. :facepalm:
      I swear doctors love seeing you squirm from embarrassment!
      I wonder how they'd react if I lied and said I was alcoholic, sexually active, had two boyfriends and a girlfriend on the go and probably needed a chlamydia test?

ReputationRep:
      Doctors have a sense of superiority and superhuman. Don't pay attention.

He has to take note of what he says and if he changes it, sue for malpractice.

ReputationRep:
      TBH people bull**** them all the time... Obese people who say they only eat a small piece lettuce every day etc, guess they turn cynical over time.

either that or you've just got a really dishonest face.

ReputationRep:
      People lie about their alcohol intake all the time. Both to themselves and to their doctors/nurses. It's always "Oh, not much doctor" and in many cases this is true, but in quite a few, "not much" turns out to be several pints or a bottle of wine a day, which is quite significant, so it is worth probing a bit deeper - it's not necessarily a judgement on you personally. And as Jamie says, they get paid for having good records of this sort of thing for their patients.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      Every time, he asks me how much alcohol I drink in a week. Every time, I say none ... and cue suspicious glare and further questioning along the lines of, "Are you sure? It's confidential, you know..."

I don't have any medical problems that would be caused by drinking - they're all ear problems or asthma problems, both of which I've had since early childhood, or migraine problems, which are a family trait in both maternal and paternal family which he's aware of, seeing as he's also their doctor.

So why does he not believe me? Is there any reasoning behind it, or is it purely because I'm a young adult with no obvious reasons for not drinking alcohol (eg, I'm white English so probably not a religious conflict)?
      My legs were in some severe pain after a night out, for whatever reason *shrug*

I'm a brown dude, and the nurse asked me 3 times whether I'd taken illegal drugs or not, with a lovely "really...? ok then..."

Meh, tbh I don't care - it's safe to assume lots of young people drink etc.

ReputationRep:
      I know this feeling:
      How much do you drink in a week? I don't.
      Are you sure? Yes
      Would you like a chlamydia test? No, I'm not sexually active.
      Would you like some condoms? Not sexually active.
      Would you not like some just in case? Sometimes people have too much alcohol and things happen...
      *facepalm*

I have since started drinking socially, but that's besides the point.

ReputationRep:
      My bf was asked to take a chlamidya (sp?) for the second year in a row despite him not changing sexual partner. Well, it saved me a visit.

ReputationRep:
      My doctor has never asked me those sort of questions. Usually it is me saying I need a prescription and she will take my blood pressure, that is it. Once though, when I got prescribed dianette for the first time because of mild skin problems, she said that it will kill two birds with one stone - sort out skin and be a contraceptive. I said that I only needed it for the one and she gave me a weird look lol.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      They ask them because the government dictates that in order to get funding they must have answers from a certain proportion of their patients.
      I know, always have known it. I was only joking.

(Original post by Concern'd Viewer)
        Doctors have a sense of superiority and superhuman. Don't pay attention.

He has to take note of what he says and if he changes it, sue for malpractice.
        this isn't america.

I not long ago had this same questioning from my GP after my liver enzymes through up a high reading. Last I drank anything was August, this summer in America, and even that was alcohol free (and tasted vile). The under lying cause, nobody knows really, well I have Epstein Barr Virus but it's recent, not new, which may have pushed up the liver enzymes.

I have to admit it's annoying when GPs constantly pester you, sounding like they don't believe you. But I guess the majority are just being thorough.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.