Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moroccan money?! Urgent help please! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying to Marrakesh in a couple of days and stupidly left it to the last minute to pick up some currency. I should really have looked into it earlier but from googling, it seems the currency is the Dirham... which no bureau de change seems to bloody sell! Even the ones at the airport don't sell it. It's such a nightmare...

So I'm wondering what's the best thing to do? I doubt paying for meals by card would be an option, so do they perhaps accept US dollars? Euros? Traveller's cheques?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky-x)
    I was in Morocco in 2008 on a school trip, we took over Sterling and exchanged it for the Moroccon Dirham once we had arrived in the country. I don't know why exactly you can't get your currency before entering but I remember being told something like they don't like their currency being taken out of the country. and so anything you have left be sure to change back to Sterling (which can be done at Marrakesh airport) before you leave.

EDIT: It is common for them to accept major currencies like the Euro, and US dollars too, but not everywhere so don't rely on it
    Great, thank you Phew! Panic over

ReputationRep:
    Lol I thought it said monkey first. xD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can do it at the destination airport, don't worry too much about it. I haven't been to Morocco but I have been to Tunisia and they have strict rules about not allowing their currency out of the country. Not sure if this is why?

ReputationRep:
    Yea you can exchange your £,€ or $ for Dirhams in Marrakesh Airport after you've collected your baggage - there are a few desks!

You can only take a certain amount out of the country too - exchange back before you go to duty free as they don't accept Dirhams in duty free!

When I exchanged my money back, they only had £5 and £10 notes, so I was slightly short changed due to a lack of coinage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)
    I'm flying to Marrakesh in a couple of days and stupidly left it to the last minute to pick up some currency. I should really have looked into it earlier but from googling, it seems the currency is the Dirham... which no bureau de change seems to bloody sell! Even the ones at the airport don't sell it. It's such a nightmare...

So I'm wondering what's the best thing to do? I doubt paying for meals by card would be an option, so do they perhaps accept US dollars? Euros? Traveller's cheques?
    Just thake your £££ with you and get them changed in the airport or in a bureau de change /currency smth (they are everywhere) .

Marrakech is AMAZING at this time of the year!! Enjoy it!
    I am Moroccan btw !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Not sure if this is why?
    Yes - a with many small currencies, it is protected from the free market by making it illegal to remove from the country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.