Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PGCE biology secondary - please help.. think i have messed up already! :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i want to become a biology teacher, but i the only science i am doing for a level is biology out of the traditional sciences, and some places say that you need 2 science a levels, i thought it was all about the content of the degree, experience etccc.... anyone out there who is doing/done a biology or any other science secondary pgce with only one science at a level?
    Would i still stand a chance at other places?

Please help, i feel i have messed up so bad as i took chemistry but dropped it

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Anyyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

ReputationRep:
    What will your degree be? I did a psychology degree,with a fair amount of biological stuff in it, and had both biology and chemistry at a level, most unis said they wouldn't take me without a science degree. One said they probably would but I'd need to do a subject knowledge enhansement course for 6 months before starting the PGCE.

What year are you in? Is there any chance you can take an extra AS next year alongside your 3 a levels, in chem or physics?

ReputationRep:
    What will your degree be? I did a psychology degree,with a fair amount of biological stuff in it, and had both biology and chemistry at a level, most unis said they wouldn't take me without a science degree. One said they probably would but I'd need to do a subject knowledge enhansement course for 6 months before starting the PGCE.

What year are you in? Is there any chance you can take an extra AS next year alongside your 3 a levels, in chem or physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)

My degree will be in human biology or biology, something very biology based, i was just worried about the a levels really, but people have said that it is just the degree they care about, and oh wow, so you a teacher at the moment?

Year 12, yeah, the thing is i took chemistry and then dropped it because at a level i just could not cope , so yeah that was the problem

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you call uni admissions dept and ask what they say. You've got time to sort this. Tbh if you become a science teacher you will be expected to teach all 3 sciences up to Y9, poss up to GCSE in some schools, only being able to teach bio above y9 will probably hinder you when you look for jobs anyway. A level chemistry is hard, I pretty much hated every minute lol, but I worked hard at it and got a B. Unfortunately you may need to do this.

Not a teacher yet - doing a primary PGCE at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing a secondary biology PGCE at the moment but have had to teach all three sciences at KS3 and biology and chemistry to GCSE. I have biology and chemistry A levels but I think there are people on my course that dont and had to do a subject knowledge enhancement course. There are definitely ways to get around your problem by doing additional subject knowledge courses. I would ring the universities you want to apply when it comes to that and get lots of experience in schools. Don't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you call uni admissions dept and ask what they say. You've got time to sort this. Tbh if you become a science teacher you will be expected to teach all 3 sciences up to Y9, poss up to GCSE in some schools, only being able to teach bio above y9 will probably hinder you when you look for jobs anyway. A level chemistry is hard, I pretty much hated every minute lol, but I worked hard at it and got a B. Unfortunately you may need to do this.

Not a teacher yet - doing a primary PGCE at the moment
    Yeah i will have to do that at some point. Yes, and i thought one could teach all three sciences at GCSE, so really i would only be able to teach biology above GCSE?
    Oh thats good, and yeah i think i give up too easily, and oh i'll just teach something else like geography if it comes to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _HappyDreams_)
    Hi, I'm doing a secondary biology PGCE at the moment but have had to teach all three sciences at KS3 and biology and chemistry to GCSE. I have biology and chemistry A levels but I think there are people on my course that dont and had to do a subject knowledge enhancement course. There are definitely ways to get around your problem by doing additional subject knowledge courses. I would ring the universities you want to apply when it comes to that and get lots of experience in schools. Don't worry too much!
    Oh i thought one could teach all sciences at GCSE? :O, and oh god a subject enhancement course , but i don't understand if i only wanted to speciallise in biology, why would i need this?
    And, yes true, thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same situation as you and it worried me as well so I looked at universities offering a PGCE in Biology (secondary) and found that: Manchester, Bath Spa, Sheffield Hallam, Keele, Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Liverpool, Nottingham Trent and Plymouth (so far) only need one Science A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono300)
    I am in the same situation as you and it worried me as well so I looked at universities offering a PGCE in Biology (secondary) and found that: Manchester, Bath Spa, Sheffield Hallam, Keele, Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Liverpool, Nottingham Trent and Plymouth (so far) only need one Science A Level.
    Oh i finally found someone in the same situation as me!
    Yes i found some of those, wow never knew there were so many, so really it's all good then right? Your undergraduate in biology? See, i was thinking that too, but i'm guessing you are going to a university which only ask for one science?
    Also, i am getting so confused with the whole PGCE stufff... what sciences would we be able to teach at GCSE, all of them right?

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diesha)
    Yes i found some of those, wow never knew there were so many, so really it's all good then right? Your undergraduate in biology? See, i was thinking that too, but i'm guessing you are going to a university which only ask for one science?
    Also, i am getting so confused with the whole PGCE stufff... what sciences would we be able to teach at GCSE, all of them right?

Thankyou!
    You'd probably be expected to teach all of them at GCSE - but you've said yourself you couldn't cope with AS Chemistry. How do you expect to teach GCSE to people then? IMO to teach something well you need subject knowledge above what you are teaching. Did you get an A* in GCSE Chemistry? If not how can you expect to satisfactorily teach students who have the capability to get A*?

ReputationRep:

Thankyou!
    Yes, I'm applying for Biology on its own to some unis and Biology with Psychology (major:minor) to others. They only asked for Biology as a Science and some considered Psychology as an A Level Science, so hopefully those same unis will consider Psychology as a second Science at postgraduate level. There will be lots of unis that only want one Science, usually these will be low in the league tables but a teaching degree is a teaching degree and it's only one year of study. Although, the unis I found that only want one Science are high in the league tables so it's all good I have Chemistry at AS (grade D), so hopefully that might help when I apply for a PGCE, even if it is a grade D :/ anyway, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm applying for Biology on its own to some unis and Biology with Psychology (major:minor) to others. They only asked for Biology as a Science and some considered Psychology as an A Level Science, so hopefully those same unis will consider Psychology as a second Science at postgraduate level. There will be lots of unis that only want one Science, usually these will be low in the league tables but a teaching degree is a teaching degree and it's only one year of study. Although, the unis I found that only want one Science are high in the league tables so it's all good I have Chemistry at AS (grade D), so hopefully that might help when I apply for a PGCE, even if it is a grade D :/ anyway, good luck!
    I see, which unis are you applying too? Yeah, i'm looking at the ones that take geography as a second science. Have you had any offers? What did you actually take for you a levels, i'm assuming biology, psychology, and?
    Yeah so it's not like one would not be able to do a pgce in biology because of only having at a level, won't be rejection will there?, because i don't want to do a undergraduate in biology and then not be able to the pgce? :O
    Oh chemistry, don't even get me started on that haha, i dropped it as i just could not manage, though i do not think i tried for long enough, so i kind of regret drpping it, and i sort of wish i took psychology, how is psychology?
    But yeah, with this whole PGCE thing, would this limit us when applying for jobs i mean, we would be able to teach all the sciences till gcse right?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably be expected to teach all of them at GCSE - but you've said yourself you couldn't cope with AS Chemistry. How do you expect to teach GCSE to people then? IMO to teach something well you need subject knowledge above what you are teaching. Did you get an A* in GCSE Chemistry? If not how can you expect to satisfactorily teach students who have the capability to get A*?
    Well yes i couldn't cope with AS chemistry, but i done fine at GCSE, i got an A, and well i think there are lots of teachers out there who do not have certain sciences at a level, that does not mean they can't teach them?

ReputationRep:
    I see, which unis are you applying too? Yeah, i'm looking at the ones that take geography as a second science. Have you had any offers? What did you actually take for you a levels, i'm assuming biology, psychology, and?
    Yeah so it's not like one would not be able to do a pgce in biology because of only having at a level, won't be rejection will there?, because i don't want to do a undergraduate in biology and then not be able to the pgce? :O
    Oh chemistry, don't even get me started on that haha, i dropped it as i just could not manage, though i do not think i tried for long enough, so i kind of regret drpping it, and i sort of wish i took psychology, how is psychology?
    But yeah, with this whole PGCE thing, would this limit us when applying for jobs i mean, we would be able to teach all the sciences till gcse right?

Thanks!
    For A Levels, I took Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and English. I dropped Chemistry at AS. I've had offers from Leeds and Sheffield Hallam for Biology.
    Psychology is questionable whether it is a Science or not. It involves memorising and understanding many, many case studies, some of which have a scientific discipline, which root from approaches: cognitive, biological, humanistic, psychodynamic, behaviourist and social learning theory. They all have contrasting theories. Some unis consider it a Science, others consider it an Arts subject because it involves essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    For A Levels, I took Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and English. I dropped Chemistry at AS. I've had offers from Leeds and Sheffield Hallam for Biology.
    Psychology is questionable whether it is a Science or not. It involves memorising and understanding many, many case studies, some of which have a scientific discipline, which root from approaches: cognitive, biological, humanistic, psychodynamic, behaviourist and social learning theory. They all have contrasting theories. Some unis consider it a Science, others consider it an Arts subject because it involves essay writing.
    Oh wow thats good! Are you confident you will get onto a PGCE? I mean, do you think the whole only one science thing will be issue even with the ones that only as for one science, in terms of finding a job too? Would they think it was a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow thats good! Are you confident you will get onto a PGCE? I mean, do you think the whole only one science thing will be issue even with the ones that only as for one science, in terms of finding a job too? Would they think it was a disadvantage?
    I don't really see it as an issue. If you have them at GCSE, then you can teach them at GCSE. You don't teach chemistry and physics at A Level unless you are qualified. We should be alright! It's the least of our worries. There's the CRB check, experience at a high school and a good degree. They should be more important than A Levels in Science subjects other than the one you want to teach.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see it as an issue. If you have them at GCSE, then you can teach them at GCSE. You don't teach chemistry and physics at A Level unless you are qualified. We should be alright! It's the least of our worries. There's the CRB check, experience at a high school and a good degree. They should be more important than A Levels in Science subjects other than the one you want to teach.
    Yeah thats what i thought to about having them at GCSE! haha, and true, true, awhh well i must say you have been so much help!
    Good luck for uni and all, where you going to be going, Leeds?
    I may have to get in touch again when you applying for your PGCE and all .. it's been really helpful
    Good luck with you A2 results too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what i thought to about having them at GCSE! haha, and true, true, awhh well i must say you have been so much help!
    Good luck for uni and all, where you going to be going, Leeds?
    I may have to get in touch again when you applying for your PGCE and all .. it's been really helpful
    Good luck with you A2 results too!
    Good luck as well!
    Yes, please get in contact when applying for PGCE because I might need your help too!
    And no, I want to go to Lancaster but havent had an offer yet :/ I've had a letter saying I've been recommended for an offer so, fingers crossed
    Bye! Have a great christmas!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.