Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering what type of books would you recommend to someone who is about to study law at university.
    Thanks.

Is there also any threads offering Law personal statement advice?

ReputationRep:
    my thoughts are in the sticky

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wouldn't fret too much whatsoever. Lots of people will tell you to read The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham, though, I would read it with a pinch of salt because it is quite biased. Personally however I would go for something more quasi-philosophical/sociological as it will get you to think about some of the conceptual ideas that seem to underpin our legal system. With that in mind, I would say your best bet is to go for something by H.L.A. Hart on Jurisprudence. I think his most famous book is called The Concept of Law.

ReputationRep:
    I would find out what your first modules are and do some basic reading on them, for example mine was contract and public (administrative) law (and understanding law but that was a load of balls). I think I would have benefited having some idea on them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.