Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nooooo! I have no water, cant wash, cant go to toilet and landlord doesnt care Watch

ReputationRep:
    What a day! Came back last night and wanted to wash clothes as meant to be going to parents for christmas today, washing machine wasnt working so tried taps, same, tried both bathrooms, same, even toilet didnt flush.

Had to embarress myself and ask for a few kettles worth of water from neighbour just to wash and go to toilet once.

Rang up my letting agent today at 9am, was told they would contact landlord right away as it can get worse, rang back 10.30 for them to say they are only getting round to emailing landlord as we speak(emailing! what about phoning!) at first I assumed they meant they had already rang and were emailing to see what landlord wanted to do.

Rang back about 11.45 12.30, 1.30, 2.30 to get fobbed off by agency but managed to find out landlords number elsewhere, and he said they hadnt contacted him then he tries to blame me for the problem saying heating hasnt been used enough and it was inevitable, and just told me to ask neighbour for a bucket of water each time I need toilet!

Grrr so angry.

ReputationRep:
    If you're paying your bills you should have running water, it is not acceptable that your landlord is fobbing you off about this. Contact Citizen's Advice? They should give you some help on what to do if your landlord continues to mess you around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    If you're paying your bills you should have running water, it is not acceptable that your landlord is fobbing you off about this. Contact Citizen's Advice? They should give you some help on what to do if your landlord continues to mess you around.
    Thats what I thought, but it may be a little different me being in Scotland.

My parents told me they have to give me bottled water if off for a long period, and have to ensure sanitation facilities(considering I cant even go to or flush the toilet at moment!)

Rang landlord about 2 hours ago and he said he would come round sometime later in the afternoon, and he only likes like 7 miles away so its not as if he is very far away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryouga)
    Thats what I thought, but it may be a little different me being in Scotland.

My parents told me they have to give me bottled water if off for a long period, and have to ensure sanitation facilities(considering I cant even go to or flush the toilet at moment!)

Rang landlord about 2 hours ago and he said he would come round sometime later in the afternoon, and he only likes like 7 miles away so its not as if he is very far away.
    Yeah your parents would be right because you as a tenant have rights and sanitation is one of them! Your landlord should be taking reasonable steps to ensure your water is back on as normal as quickly as possible.

From tenancyagreementservice.co.uk

The right to live in a property in good repair

The law says your landlord has to keep the structure and exterior of the property in good repair. This includes:

• The Roof
    • Guttering
    • Walls (but this doesn't include internal decoration)
    • Windows and doors

Your landlord must also keep the equipment for the supply of gas, electricity, heating, water and sanitation in good repair. The accommodation must have a valid gas safety certificate for any gas appliances in the property. Any furniture provided should be fire resistant.

A tenant is however responsible for taking a certain amount of care for the property. This might include unblocking a sink or changing a fuse when necessary. Depending on what the tenancy agreement says a tenant can have more responsibility for the upkeep of the property.

Read more: http://www.tenancyagreementservice.c...#ixzz18rQQajDI

This website is for England and Wales but Scotland probably has laws similar to this.

Here is a link relating to the laws in Scotland: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/housing/leaflets/atsy-05.asp

You have the right to sanitation so you have every right to pursue this!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your parents would be right because you as a tenant have rights and sanitation is one of them! Your landlord should be taking reasonable steps to ensure your water is back on as normal as quickly as possible.

From tenancyagreementservice.co.uk

The right to live in a property in good repair

The law says your landlord has to keep the structure and exterior of the property in good repair. This includes:

• The Roof
    • Guttering
    • Walls (but this doesn't include internal decoration)
    • Windows and doors

Your landlord must also keep the equipment for the supply of gas, electricity, heating, water and sanitation in good repair. The accommodation must have a valid gas safety certificate for any gas appliances in the property. Any furniture provided should be fire resistant.

A tenant is however responsible for taking a certain amount of care for the property. This might include unblocking a sink or changing a fuse when necessary. Depending on what the tenancy agreement says a tenant can have more responsibility for the upkeep of the property.

Read more: http://www.tenancyagreementservice.c...#ixzz18rQQajDI

This website is for England and Wales but Scotland probably has laws similar to this.

Here is a link relating to the laws in Scotland: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/housing/leaflets/atsy-05.asp

You have the right to sanitation so you have every right to pursue this!
    His excuse was that it is a "extreme" situation so normal rules dont apply.

Still hasnt turned up btw.

ReputationRep:
    His excuse was that it is a "extreme" situation so normal rules dont apply.

Still hasnt turned up btw.
    He's bull****ting you, he's still legally obliged to provide sanitary housing for you if you're paying your rent. Keep chasing, good luck

ReputationRep:
    He's bull****ting you, he's still legally obliged to provide sanitary housing for you if you're paying your rent. Keep chasing, good luck
    He finally turned up 15 minutes ago saying he had another of his flats bursting their pipes so went there first and it took ages to sort.

He didnt bring any ladders though, just moved washing machine to check for a stop valve, then said he will come back tommorow with ladders.

Not really impressed but will give him that chance.

ReputationRep:
    What a day! Came back last night and wanted to wash clothes as meant to be going to parents for christmas today, washing machine wasnt working so tried taps, same, tried both bathrooms, same, even toilet didnt flush.

Had to embarress myself and ask for a few kettles worth of water from neighbour just to wash and go to toilet once.

Rang up my letting agent today at 9am, was told they would contact landlord right away as it can get worse, rang back 10.30 for them to say they are only getting round to emailing landlord as we speak(emailing! what about phoning!) at first I assumed they meant they had already rang and were emailing to see what landlord wanted to do.

Rang back about 11.45 12.30, 1.30, 2.30 to get fobbed off by agency but managed to find out landlords number elsewhere, and he said they hadnt contacted him then he tries to blame me for the problem saying heating hasnt been used enough and it was inevitable, and just told me to ask neighbour for a bucket of water each time I need toilet!

Grrr so angry.
    Report him to the relevant authority. Only option in these situations. Hand him your notice at the same time and move out. Landlords like him aren't worth having.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    Report him to the relevant authority. Only option in these situations. Hand him your notice at the same time and move out. Landlords like him aren't worth having.
    Notice ran out last week, I have no funds to move though and that flat is amazing, next to river, in town centre, nice furniture and I will never get another like this in price range as people are jealous each time they visit me its that nice.

Only faults I have with property is no wheelie bins so have to take rubbish to the black metal bins on street and the front door to building is locked so post gets shoved through main door so if anything sent recorded or special I have to collect from sorting office(which is 5 minutes walk away luckily)

ReputationRep:
    Update, LL has came round friendly but not that friendly more neutral, he checked the loft and said the loft was warm and pipes were covered already and no frozen bits, but then moaned a bit saying again that the problems would be hugely occured due to me not having heating on all the time in every room and he would put cash on the meter(£40) and we would "come to an arrangement when I move out"

He told me EVERYONE leaves heating on when they go away for christmas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.