Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was thinking of buying a laptop for uni and i just wanted to know if anyones used this laptop or know if its any good:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-s-series/tab/overview

It looks nice but is quite expensive.

Ive also looked at the hp laptops but ive heard that they overheat often is this true?
    Im not that into computers so i was wondering why there are such a range of prices for often similar specs, is the cost mainly for the brand or the graphics card?

Any advice on these laptops appreciated or if anyone could recommend any others that would be good too. Thank you
    amoled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amoled)
    Hi,

I was thinking of buying a laptop for uni and i just wanted to know if anyones used this laptop or know if its any good:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-s-series/tab/overview

It looks nice but is quite expensive.

Ive also looked at the hp laptops but ive heard that they overheat often is this true?
    Im not that into computers so i was wondering why there are such a range of prices for often similar specs, is the cost mainly for the brand or the graphics card?

Any advice on these laptops appreciated or if anyone could recommend any others that would be good too. Thank you
    amoled

Assuming you mean the cheapest S series one? It's not bad, but you won't get far if you're trying to run games on it. The cost is due to Sony's label being on it as the graphics card is your bog-standard integrated GPU, which are generally horrific for gaming.

Go look on eBuyer, I'm sure they will have something a little cheaper yet better equipped.

ReputationRep:
    omg i was about to ask this exact question about the sony s series as im thinking of getting it as well as i use it for all my lessons at school and will take it to uni, so need a mobile laptop and this sony laptop alongside apple macs are the best ones i've come across!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysanigel247)
    omg i was about to ask this exact question about the sony s series as im thinking of getting it as well as i use it for all my lessons at school and will take it to uni, so need a mobile laptop and this sony laptop alongside apple macs are the best ones i've come across!
    The Y series sounds better for your requirements? It's more portable and has better battery life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysanigel247)
    sony laptop alongside apple macs are the best ones i've come across!
    Such an uninformed statement to make.

Both Apple Macs and the aforementioned laptop are great in theory, but in practise they are terrible.

1. The price tag, you're paying for a brand name there are no two ways about it, I suspect Apple are much worse at this than Sony but the same applies to both.
    2. Functionality, both the posted laptop and Apple Macs have serious functionality problems that uneducated "computer" people fail to recognise before buying, probably because they have big brand names that consumers feel safe buying from.
    3. Security, this one applies more to the Apple than the Sony (although the posted laptop will be running WindowsXXX which everyone knows has some serious security issues) but Apple are much much worse concerning this, f.ex - A huge Java security flaw was uncovered earlier this year and everyone else had it fixed SIX MONTHS before Apple decided to finally get round to doing something about it
    4. Adding to my above point, most uneducated people will believe that Apple Macs are somehow more secure and safer than Windows and whilst this is true in some sense, MS certainly seem to be ontop of any major security flaws that their products may have. Apple on the other hand, say that they will only do something about a security flaw when Macs "start being compromised on a wide scale or security concerns otherwise start affecting buying decisions"
    5. Further more, when compared to a Linux machine, Apple Macs are lacking so so much in terms of defence against malicious software and certainly, the fact that .exes and .dlls etc aren't present helps Linux machines hold some ground, security wise.
    6. Apple simply do not listen to customer feedback, this is probably the worst thing a company can do since in theory it will lower their custom. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to hold them back in massive sales purely because people like yourself will buy their products just because it has the logo on it.

I'm sorry if this seems like a personal attack, but Apple has always annoyed me greatly and when people come on a computing forum and say that Apples are better than Windows or Linux machines I die a little inside. (I could go on with the points, but there's no need really, is there?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)

Both Apple Macs and the aforementioned laptop are great in theory, but in practise they are terrible.

1. The price tag, you're paying for a brand name there are no two ways about it, I suspect Apple are much worse at this than Sony but the same applies to both.
    2. Functionality, both the posted laptop and Apple Macs have serious functionality problems that uneducated "computer" people fail to recognise before buying, probably because they have big brand names that consumers feel safe buying from.
    3. Security, this one applies more to the Apple than the Sony (although the posted laptop will be running WindowsXXX which everyone knows has some serious security issues) but Apple are much much worse concerning this, f.ex - A huge Java security flaw was uncovered earlier this year and everyone else had it fixed SIX MONTHS before Apple decided to finally get round to doing something about it
    4. Adding to my above point, most uneducated people will believe that Apple Macs are somehow more secure and safer than Windows and whilst this is true in some sense, MS certainly seem to be ontop of any major security flaws that their products may have. Apple on the other hand, say that they will only do something about a security flaw when Macs "start being compromised on a wide scale or security concerns otherwise start affecting buying decisions"
    5. Further more, when compared to a Linux machine, Apple Macs are lacking so so much in terms of defence against malicious software and certainly, the fact that .exes and .dlls etc aren't present helps Linux machines hold some ground, security wise.
    6. Apple simply do not listen to customer feedback, this is probably the worst thing a company can do since in theory it will lower their custom. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to hold them back in massive sales purely because people like yourself will buy their products just because it has the logo on it.

I'm sorry if this seems like a personal attack, but Apple has always annoyed me greatly and when people come on a computing forum and say that Apples are better than Windows or Linux machines I die a little inside. (I could go on with the points, but there's no need really, is there?)
    Well i wasn't planning to buy an apple laptop mainly because i need a new laptop asap and would only get a apple laptop if i was uni to get a student discount. Also i have never used linux os before and as i will be using the laptop as soon as i get it i do not really want to be spending valuable learning how the os works. Also the reason why i thinking about getting a sony as from looking at most brands expect for toshiba, sony i find it the best brand out their for windows laptops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)

lol i didnt mention macs at all but thanks for your response. The reason im looking at sony is that I have had a vaio before which has lasted about 5 years and so they seem like a brand i can trust although they may cost more. Also im probably one of these uneducated computer people you speek of so could you expand on your point about series functionality problems.

I have looked at the Y series but it has no cd drive which would be annoying if i wanted to watch a dvd/
    Would i lose out much if i went for the cheaper e series?
    btw this is mainly for taking to uni and for general use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amoled)
    I have looked at the Y series but it has no cd drive which would be annoying if i wanted to watch a dvd/.
    You could get an external USB drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelz_26)
    You could get an external USB drive?
    yes thanks it just seems fiddly to carry around and it would reduce some of the portability, which is why i was leaning towards the s series instead of the y series. I notice that it doesnt seem to be very popular laptop as not many people seem to have used it and theres not much on youtube about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.