14.29%
    Male (primary school)
    19.05%
    Female (secondary school)
    28.57%
    Male (secondary school)
    38.10%

ReputationRep:
    Something that I keep thinking when I read posts etc. is that the majority are probably by girls and not guys, however I'm now wondering how outdated this thinking is (at least in the ratio I am thinking of). When I checked my old school's teaching staff I noticed an increase in male teachers, and wondered how it was with people on here!

ReputationRep:
    I think that the balance is fairly reasonable if you look at secondary schools as a whole, but I imagine that if you examined individual departments this wouldn't be the case. In primary schools, it's unusual to have more than one male teacher.

ReputationRep:
    more guys than girls so far! That may be (is probably) an indication of who uses the internet more though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    I think that the balance is fairly reasonable if you look at secondary schools as a whole, but I imagine that if you examined individual departments this wouldn't be the case. In primary schools, it's unusual to have more than one male teacher.
    How sterotypical!! Yes there are more females in the primary sector but unusual to have more than 1 male teacher now there is a joke!!! i would say more like a ratio of 4:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline_p3)
    How sterotypical!! Yes there are more females in the primary sector but unusual to have more than 1 male teacher now there is a joke!!! i would say more like a ratio of 4:1
    I was just stating my experience, which obviously isn't based on a statistical analysis of every school in the country! In my experience, I've yet to come across a primary school with more than one male teacher. Having said that, most of the schools that I've spent time in (only around 10, admittedly) are only one form entry, so only have around 7 teachers in total. That doesn't mean that's true of every school in the country.

In addition, only around 10% of my coursemates are male (primary PGCE).

I seem to remember reading in the White Paper on teacher training that about 15% of primary trainees or teachers (I can't remember) are male. I haven't got time to extract the statistics from an official source now, but this Torygraph article backs up my rather hazy memory: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...hers-male.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.