Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are people's opinion about SOAS MSc Economics. I was told by a SOAS student that the MSc Economics is as advanced as that at UCL because the maths level is more or less the same and the teachers there are, depsite having very few publications in some very poor journals and no research results for RAE submission, very competent.

Is that true? XD

ReputationRep:
    Tarutaru this is your third thread undermining SOAS.

ReputationRep:
    If you are genuine, then you could visit the dept and talk to the tutors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarutaru)
    What are people's opinion about SOAS MSc Economics. I was told by a SOAS student that the MSc Economics is as advanced as that at UCL because the maths level is more or less the same and the teachers there are, depsite having very few publications in some very poor journals and no research results for RAE submission, very competent.

Is that true? XD
    Use the search function, this guy seems to know a lot about SOAS he is probably an ex student, maybe PM him?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...240&highlight=

Debraun... SOAS is a heterodox school and its economic department is more political economy, or, more precisely Marxist economics.

Nevertheless, you will also learn standard mathematical and statsitical topics at the school, althouhg the content is much less mathematical and technical than that you would encounter in Warwick, Ucl, edinburgh etc msc courses.

you ont get deviated micro, but rather you will get more deviated macro as i heard and actually know many of the professors there are marxist. Some of them are very big in non-mainstream economics like professor Ben Fine (a guy with orthodox economics and mathematic background at Oxford) and professor Mustaq (a heterodox political economy star at Cambridge).

if you like political eocnomy and especially marxist economics then probably SOAs is the best place you can find in Europe XD

and to be honest, SOAs is ranked as 33rd by the Times, it was ranked 6th by the Times and FT in 1999/early 2000s, and consistently top 10 or even five by the guardian XD
    bare in mind, SOAS is not only strong in Marxist economics; this tiny school with only 4000 students is unique in the sense that many of th regional content you wont be able to learn elsewhere. And it is one of the very economic department offers MSc Development Economics

i dont think you will be discriminated against with a SOAS master as SOAS is quite well-known nationally and worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Use the search function, this guy seems to know a lot about SOAS he is probably an ex student, maybe PM him?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...240&highlight=
    No. I am not. I am an ex-student at UCL XD but constantly go to SOAS or Birkbeck library because of the longer opening hours

But ture, I do know a lot about SOAS.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, here we go again. :yawn:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.