Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After taking into consideration the increasing difficulty of getting into university, I decided to only apply to four univeristies first, in the event that if I was rejected by all four I could add a fifth and final choice for a lower min. grade course.

I've applied for:

Phys w/Astronomy - Durham (dream)
    Phys w/Astrophysics - Sheffield, Leeds
    Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Science w/3rd yr in USA - Kent

I chose Kent as an insurance-insurance, and the option of giong to the States. 300pts for that.
    So from Durham - AAA, to Kent - BBB (likely), I chose quite a range. I had an email to confirm Durham and Kent had received my application, but nothing other than that from any of them. I know plenty of people who sent their application after me who've received up to 4 offers now. When should I (properly) panic and add a fifth choice? What happens if it's after 15th Jan regarding late entries etc.?

I know you 'should hear from all of your choices by xth May if you apply by the 15th Jan' but, when should I add my fifth?

Couldn't find a thread like this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm pretty sure you can only add another choice two weeeks after your application has been sent.
    On the bottom of track it says 'add another choice' or something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm pretty sure you can only add another choice two weeeks after your application has been sent.
    :lies:

You can add a choice at any time. If it's after Jan 15th then it's classed as late which means unis don't have to consider you. So really you should apply before then unless you contact them in advance to ask if it's ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    :lies:

You can add a choice at any time. If it's after Jan 15th then it's classed as late which means unis don't have to consider you. So really you should apply before then unless you contact them in advance to ask if it's ok.
    Sorry I thought you only had two weeks to change around your offers and such, otherwise I thought everyone would try and see if they got rejected by their first few choices and then go for something else. Seems a bit of a flaw in the system to me :s
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry I thought you only had two weeks to change around your offers and such, otherwise I thought everyone would try and see if they got rejected by their first few choices and then go for something else. Seems a bit of a flaw in the system to me :s
    It's not a flaw, as you have to do it by January for equal consideration and many people will not have received their replies that quickly. You also only get 5 choices in total.

ReputationRep:
    You have two weeks to change a choice, but can add a choice right up until June 30th if you want (although after January 15th, it wouldn't come under equal consideration.)

It's not really a flaw, more like a good strategy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.