House Hunting Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just wondered how everyones house hunting for next year was going? (Coming from a smug finalist who doesn't have to go through that hell this year!)

Has anyone else started yet or is it just Leeds being ridiculously early? We've had people coming round to view ours for the last two weeks.

Though maybe people could share any handy hints and tips for getting a nice house and not getting completely screwed over!
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Just wondered how everyones house hunting for next year was going? (Coming from a smug finalist who doesn't have to go through that hell this year!)

Has anyone else started yet or is it just Leeds being ridiculously early? We've had people coming round to view ours for the last two weeks.

Though maybe people could share any handy hints and tips for getting a nice house and not getting completely screwed over!
already got my house for next year, we all have double beds as well damn thing is *so* stressful though ack!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not sorted anything yet, but it's all anyone's been talking about atm.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Wait until you're actually moved in...the stress doesn't stop it just shifts.
I couldn't agree more, we've had the debt collectors round twice already this year trying to get money out of us because the previous tennants haven't paid their Powergen bill!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well British gas invented an extra meter in my old house and started charging for it I had to ring them up numerous times and they said send the bills back with a note so I did every time and yet more bills came. The people who had the house after us got sent a court summons because they still hadnt got their act together.
As for house hunting I'm in a bit of a crap position. i'm doing a postgrad and I'm currently in my first year its a 2 yr course. My course is small and I'm one of the only ones that has managed to get into halls off my course. The two people who I get along with best both live at home and most other people on the course already live in rented accom and arent moving. everyone in my halls that i know are doing yr courses and finish in June. I dont know what to do I could reapply to halls but i dont think i stand much chance getting in 2 yrs running, or I can move in with random people who are looking for one extra to make up their house, problem with that being most people with a spare room I've been scouring the notice boards are second years. No offense but I was always noisy and drunk when I was a second year so I dont really want to live with that cos i have my diss to do next year. i've been looking to get a flat of my own but its a bit anti social and also costly and I'm stoney broke. Any ideas anyone? What do you think my best option is?
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We are looking early - the housing lists here don't come out til feb/march, but i know some people (friend of a friend type thing) who -own a house up here that sounds perfect - right on the main bus route from town to uni, next to loads of shops and 3 pubs, has washing machine and dishwasher(!), 5 bedrooms and an attic conversion (for guests and as a general chilling space), off road parking and next to loads of other students. We're going to see it on sunday, but i'm pretty sure this is going to be the one we have!
Ditzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
Well British gas invented an extra meter in my old house and started charging for it I had to ring them up numerous times and they said send the bills back with a note so I did every time and yet more bills came. The people who had the house after us got sent a court summons because they still hadnt got their act together.
As for house hunting I'm in a bit of a crap position. i'm doing a postgrad and I'm currently in my first year its a 2 yr course. My course is small and I'm one of the only ones that has managed to get into halls off my course. The two people who I get along with best both live at home and most other people on the course already live in rented accom and arent moving. everyone in my halls that i know are doing yr courses and finish in June. I dont know what to do I could reapply to halls but i dont think i stand much chance getting in 2 yrs running, or I can move in with random people who are looking for one extra to make up their house, problem with that being most people with a spare room I've been scouring the notice boards are second years. No offense but I was always noisy and drunk when I was a second year so I dont really want to live with that cos i have my diss to do next year. i've been looking to get a flat of my own but its a bit anti social and also costly and I'm stoney broke. Any ideas anyone? What do you think my best option is?
Don't Postgrads get priority in Halls after Freshers? Might be worth applying, or putting up your own notice around uni, something along the lines of

"postgrad seeking quiet house for final year etc"
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm really worried about living with randoms. I moved in in my second year undergrad with 1 girl i was mates with from my course and the people that she lived in her first year and that didnt turn out too well as they were lazy lads who never did housework etc which did my head in, and my third year I moved in with 3 friends and 2 other people, both of the others turned out to be complete nightmares. One had appalling personal hygiene and the other was borderline alcoholic/depressive. I am trying to persuade my friend to move out of home and live with me but strangely enough it isnt working. I was guarenteed halls this year because I was a new postgrad to sheffield but i was one of the only ones from my course that got accepted so I dont think I have much chance next year and you dont hear til late and I dont want to be rejected and then be ina panic trying to find a place
Ditzy
Rep:
?
I'm really worried about living with randoms. I moved in in my second year undergrad with 1 girl i was mates with from my course and the people that she lived in her first year and that didnt turn out too well as they were lazy lads who never did housework etc which did my head in, and my third year I moved in with 3 friends and 2 other people, both of the others turned out to be complete nightmares. One had appalling personal hygiene and the other was borderline alcoholic/depressive. I am trying to persuade my friend to move out of home and live with me but strangely enough it isnt working. I was guarenteed halls this year because I was a new postgrad to sheffield but i was one of the only ones from my course that got accepted so I dont think I have much chance next year and you dont hear til late and I dont want to be rejected and then be ina panic trying to find a place
Ah, sounds like a bit of a bad experience. You could camp out on my brothers sofa, he's just signed for a house in Sheffield, he does film studies though, so just watchs tv all day every day!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hehe tell him I'm moving in

I dont know what I'm going to do. Anyone here from Sheffield who needs a flatmate??
.NK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just wondered how everyones house hunting for next year was going?
We signed the contract for our house for next year a couple of days ago I live in a selfcatered flat at the moment, so I've already lived with my housemates for a few months and know what they're like to have to cook/clean/washup with. I'm also moving in with my boyfriend of four years which is ideal I think he likes the idea of moving in with four girls...

The house is really nice, it was the fifth one we looked at and the only one we all wanted. The kitchen and lounge are a large combined area and there are five large bedrooms. You can see the South Entrance to the uni from the front door and it's on the main bus route into the city.
I can't wait to move in

...is it just Leeds being ridiculously early?
We were told by the uni (Nottingham) that we didn't have to start looking till after the exams...but we figured that everyone would be waiting till then and it'd be harder to find somewhere. A lot of the bigger houses (like for seven, eight people) seem to have gone already.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was at aber we had our house sorted in october.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
When I was at aber we had our house sorted in october.
Oh my god, thats crazy! Did most people get them that early or just you? Guess it wouldn't be so bad for second years etc, you already know the people your moving in with, but freshers looking in October, they wouldn't have a clue where to start! In October last year I was getting on fine with my housemate and would happily have lived with them again, but by Christmas I was only talking to one of them and the others had paired off into two groups, very glad we hadn't signed up for something that early! I'm now living with the one girl I'm still talking to from last year (who is currently driving me crazy!) and two randoms who turned out to be really nice, so guess its all worked out.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For third year to get a decent cheap house. In aber you have to start really early. In first year we picked up the uni private accom guide on the first day it was published and half the suitable houses had gone by the end of the first day so we got in in third year before the list. Went through a property agent. Thats why i'm panicking now cos it seems like I've left it really late.
researcher
Report 14 years ago
For third year to get a decent cheap house. In aber you have to start really early. In first year we picked up the uni private accom guide on the first day it was published and half the suitable houses had gone by the end of the first day so we got in in third year before the list. Went through a property agent. Thats why i'm panicking now cos it seems like I've left it really late.
My daughter's at Sheffield Hallam and is keeping on the house for next year with one of her friends. They'll be in their final year and are reasonably quiet and organised. They'll be looking for 3 more people for a 5 bedroomed house. Is that of any interest? It's close to Collegiate so may be a bit far out for you? Alternatively, her landlord has a more luxurious place a couple of miles out of town that he rents out to post grads and professional people. I could get you contact details if you wish.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by researcher)
My daughter's at Sheffield Hallam and is keeping on the house for next year with one of her friends. They'll be in their final year and are reasonably quiet and organised. They'll be looking for 3 more people for a 5 bedroomed house. Is that of any interest? It's close to Collegiate so may be a bit far out for you? Alternatively, her landlord has a more luxurious place a couple of miles out of town that he rents out to post grads and professional people. I could get you contact details if you wish.
yes if possible. I'm not 100% sure where that is and it might be a bit far out but if she is looking for housemates then feel free to send me an email.
researcher
Report 14 years ago
yes if possible. I'm not 100% sure where that is and it might be a bit far out but if she is looking for housemates then feel free to send me an email.
Have mailed you. Please delete your e-mail address, or you'll end up with masses of spam. I know from bitter experience.........
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by researcher)
Have mailed you. Please delete your e-mail address, or you'll end up with masses of spam. I know from bitter experience.........
hehe I know thats why I didnt put my uni one on there.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (183)
80.26%
Leave (45)
19.74%

Watched Threads