Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depressed because I'm lazy and vice versa Watch

ReputationRep:
    Over the past three years I've developed moderate depression and I'm fairly certain that the reason I am depressed and have very very low self esteem is because I'm lazy and unmotivated. I'm actually stuggling to write this because I don't know where to begin.

I'm 20. I was bullied ALL THE TIME (almost literally) at school and that drove my confidence and self-esteem to the ground. When I went to uni I found it close to impossible to make new friends because I was depressed at the time and that made concentrating on work all the more harder. For the past two years AT LEAST I haven't done one single piece of good work and my grades are poor because of it (the only thing I really had going for me was academia) and I come from a middle-upper class family who had to earn their way up so this situation makes it even more heartbreaking.

I was fortunate enough to get a full-time job in the summer, which lasted two weeks because the boss sacked me for poor performance (quite frankly, I would have sacked myself too).

My room is an absolute mess. I take pride in hygeine but every time I look in the mirror or a photo of myself my heart sinks. I spend too much money on dvd's and things and am broke a lot, so I have to go to my dad and ask for more money. I'm just so COMPLETELY unmotivated and I wish I wasn't. I just regret not doing so much more when I was younger because I have been so fortunate to be in such a loving family and a comfortable lifestyle.

I have had serious thoughts about suicide which I know is stupid because I know full well that I don't have it anywhere near as bad as some people. I just want some advice on where to begin to sort my life out, because three years is a long time and I've had enough.

ReputationRep:
    Join a gym.

ReputationRep:
    kick start Declutter your life.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    I think a psychologist would help, or even just a counsellor
    good luck x

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student00001)
    Over the past three years I've developed moderate depression and I'm fairly certain that the reason I am depressed and have very very low self esteem is because I'm lazy and unmotivated. I'm actually stuggling to write this because I don't know where to begin.

I'm 20. I was bullied ALL THE TIME (almost literally) at school and that drove my confidence and self-esteem to the ground. When I went to uni I found it close to impossible to make new friends because I was depressed at the time and that made concentrating on work all the more harder. For the past two years AT LEAST I haven't done one single piece of good work and my grades are poor because of it (the only thing I really had going for me was academia) and I come from a middle-upper class family who had to earn their way up so this situation makes it even more heartbreaking.

I was fortunate enough to get a full-time job in the summer, which lasted two weeks because the boss sacked me for poor performance (quite frankly, I would have sacked myself too).

My room is an absolute mess. I take pride in hygeine but every time I look in the mirror or a photo of myself my heart sinks. I spend too much money on dvd's and things and am broke a lot, so I have to go to my dad and ask for more money. I'm just so COMPLETELY unmotivated and I wish I wasn't. I just regret not doing so much more when I was younger because I have been so fortunate to be in such a loving family and a comfortable lifestyle.

I have had serious thoughts about suicide which I know is stupid because I know full well that I don't have it anywhere near as bad as some people. I just want some advice on where to begin to sort my life out, because three years is a long time and I've had enough.
    You sound a lot like me. School was no stop pisstaking and bullying /
    left school and the last couple of years have been absolutely nothing.
    ive just started working out and im on the list for CBT counselling.
    would Highly Recommend it!

Mail me if you like im always available for a chat and willing to help with any questions or advice you want

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.