Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will tutors allow you to attend tutorials after bad attendance during term 1(yr2) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I missed a lot of tutorials during the first term. I would not be surprised if some of my tutors didn't even know I was in their tutorial group.
    I would like to change this next term, but I am scared about being asked to leave when I show up.
    Should I just show up or should I contact them first?? Do they even care if I missed so much during the first term ? Will they ask me to leave if I show up without contacting them beforehand? What do you think is the best thing to do, if I want to get back on track with attendance and uni?
    I am in the second year of my (undergraduate) degree.

ReputationRep:
    Erm. You are paying them for the privilege to be (or not to be) there. Just go to your tutorials, and if faced with questions, explain yourself.

Also, weren't hounded with questioning/threatening emails from your department regarding your poor attendance? oO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon132)
    I missed a lot of tutorials during the first term. I would not be surprised if some of my tutors didn't even know I was in their tutorial group.
    I would like to change this next term, but I am scared about being asked to leave when I show up.
    Should I just show up or should I contact them first?? Do they even care if I missed so much during the first term ? Will they ask me to leave if I show up without contacting them beforehand? What do you think is the best thing to do, if I want to get back on track with attendance and uni?
    I am in the second year of my (undergraduate) degree.
    Perhaps. Contact your tutor ASAP and explain yourself.

In my university, tutorials are compulsory and you're tracked on whether you attend or not; if you fail to attend them then it could have wider repercussions. Of course, it depends on your uni policy.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'll stop you attending the remaining tutorials, unless your attendance was so poor that you've failed the course - I know that if I miss more than a certain number of tutorials (3 in philosophy, any in history) then I get credit refused for that module. Check your university policy on this.

ReputationRep:
    Im surprised you didnt get a warning or at least some contact from your tutors for not attending.

Having said that, I cant see that you would be asked to leave when you turn up. Might be awkward though since you're likely to have missed loads of work. Just go and see what happens, dont get yourself into the position where you are missing more and more.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am going to show up without contacting anyone beforehand and see what happens. I am really nervous but I am paying for it so they can't just kick me out. They have not contacted me but I am worried about the possibility of facing a penalty for missed attendance. However, I missed most of my first year and foundation year tutorials ( I have had a lot of problems in university and am quite miserable ) as well and I never faced any penalties, but I did submit all the required work, and attended all the exams obviously. I guess my uni isn't that good, but it isn't the worst.
    Anyway, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't worry. If anything, they'll be happy you're turning up now. Depending on the size of your course I'd highly doubt you're the only one in the same position.

I did the same last year, didn't go to any tutorials first year which were "mandatory" with serious "repurcussions" for not going. Turned up after christmas and my tutor didn't even blink. I know there was on average one in every tutor group out of everyone I knew who never really turned up. I ended up going twice but not getting in to the routine of it, ****ed up first year etc etc, thinking it was too late to go now the whole way through.

I'm guessing from what you've written you're in second year, but I'm guessing its the same for you. They'll just be happy its one less person to hound down and try to prevent from failing. The hardest part is turning up for a few times the first few times when it feels normal to not be going, but just know the tutor and other people in your tutorials won't really think twice about you just turning up, unless you've missed vital work and even then you'll prolly have to tell your tutor or s/he won't notice.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would they not want you in tutorials?! They'll be relieved you're turning up. Try your best to make amends this term.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how so many people (posting on TSR) get themselves into these situations.

If you can't attend even tutorials (not lectures!) then there must be some serious underlying reasons as to your motivations to study what you are studying.

You're fooling yourself, not the tutor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.