The Student Room Group

Is this normal?

I am 18 years old and have been with my boyfriend for about 2 years. He is nice, and my parents on the surface seem to like him, although in the past my mum has said she thinks I can do better.

We live about 45 mins away from each other, and my boyfriend has asked me to spend the new year with him and stop over his, however my mum will not let me. My parents allow him to stop over mine but sleep on the sofa, yet still do not let me sleep round his house, even though we wouldn't be in the same bed.

My boyfriend thinks that this is completly unreasonable, and in a way I see where he is coming from, it is not as if we have been together for a week. However I was wondering whether it is completly normal for my mum to behave in this way and not want me to stay round his? After all this has caused arguments and as a result it makes me think that my boyfriend will think our relationship will not progress as my parents will continually stop me from doing what we both want.

Please help! Any advice is welcome!
Reply 1
Your parents are just afraid of losing their little girl. You're 18 now and you're right, you haven't been going out with him only a week. You need to make a stand and just go for it. Once they see you are safe and not getting hurt, they may argue back and there will be fall outs, but in the long run they will ease off and become more comfortable with everything.

However, if you never fight it, it will never ease off. Trust me.
Reply 2
You are 18, you can do what you like. Of course your parents could decide to kick you out of the house if they like...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending