Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When do you think they will stop making DVDs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When do you think DVDs will no longer be made and all films will come out on Blu-ray? Just like how VHS tapes were replaced completely by DVDs.

ReputationRep:
    Within the next 10 years, I'd say. VHS held on for a good few years while DVDs were popular.

ReputationRep:
    They still make DVDs? Get with the times people.

ReputationRep:
    Another 5 years. But hopefully never because I can't be arsed with buying a PS3 or a Blu-ray player. And then buying all my favourite films in Blu-ray format

ReputationRep:
    hmmm good question.

But WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO STOP MAKING CD's?! >:-(

I think CD's will stop before DVD's will. So perhaps a while yet.

ReputationRep:
    First it was Beta-Max, then it was VHS, then VCDs (they totally stopped making those as soon as DVDs came along) then DVDs and now, Blu Ray.

I still have all my old VHS tapes

ReputationRep:
    When you will stop pretending to be East Asian and posting the same crap in every race thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    hmmm good question.

But WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO STOP MAKING CD's?! >:-(
    Screw that, I love buying my CD's and they have substantial better quality than MP3s anyday. Itunes doesn't even let you buy songs in FLAC format. I hope they never stop making CD's being somewhat of a collector. Although for people who don't have the attention span for albums and are happy to have the main single/people who are too cheap to buy their albums so steal them, I suppose CD's are useless. But they haven't come up with a better physical music form, so lets just leave them as they are.

Inb4 vinyl elitist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Another 5 years. But hopefully never because I can't be arsed with buying a PS3 or a Blu-ray player. And then buying all my favourite films in Blu-ray format
    You won't have to re-buy, DVDs work fine on Blu-Ray players, most even upscale the picture quality.

I don't think it will be long before DVDs become obsolete, look at how much the prices for Blu-Ray discs have already fallen. I bought The Crow yesterday for £4.99, bloody bargain!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go with 10 years.
    But I think Blu Ray will be the main format in about 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    You won't have to re-buy, DVDs work fine on Blu-Ray players, most even upscale the picture quality.

I don't think it will be long before DVDs become obsolete, look at how much the prices for Blu-Ray discs have already fallen. I bought The Crow yesterday for £4.99, bloody bargain!
    I think illegal downloading is the reason both dvds and bnlu rays are becoming cheap, to get people to buy them. Wish they would do the same thing with CD's, but no, HMV is happy to charge £17 for a new metal album which isn't even special edition. And then they complain that people download it. lol

When will they stop making Blu-ray, move past tangible forms of media (discs and disc drives) and release by digital distribution only? Oh yeah, when we get faster broadband speeds. :emo:

ReputationRep:
      DVDs will only stop being made once blu ray playback capabilities become much more mainstream. I only know one person whose computer has a blu-ray drive.

DVDs will be here to stay for a good few years yet.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think Blu Ray is all that noticeably different in quality from a normal DVD, tbh.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think blue-ray will fully take over until most people have HD TV's.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cuckoo91)
      I don't think blue-ray will fully take over until most people have HD TV's.
      I think I remember seeing a report from Ofcom a little while ago that said that two thirds of British households have at least one HDTV.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by snowyowl)
      I don't think Blu Ray is all that noticeably different in quality from a normal DVD, tbh.
      Get your eyes checked. The difference is huge. I can't watch things in DVD quality without noticing how blurry and murky the film looks.

ReputationRep:
      It might not even be blu-ray that 'gets rid of' DVD. Even though blu-ray is a higher quality than DVD they are still both discs, so the next thing will probably be something like a little card or micro chip, who knows.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phalanges)
      I think I remember seeing a report from Ofcom a little while ago that said that two thirds of British households have at least one HDTV.
      I guess that refutes my point. Who reads Ofcom reports anyway?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 66CC99)
      Get your eyes checked. The difference is huge. I can't watch things in DVD quality without noticing how blurry and murky the film looks.
      Hmm well I already get my eyes checked as regularly as they need it, as I wear glasses :p: but honestly, I really can't see that much of a difference.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.