Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey all,

I'm in an LDR with my boyfriend of nearly a year. We met at uni but he has sinced moved to a different university, meaning we're long distance both in term time and in the holidays.

We get on so well when we're together and whenever we chat it's great. However, he's recently become good friends with a girl who lives elsewhere and talks to her loads, texting and on facebook and stuff. I know there's nothing going on between them - she has a boyfriend and I know my boyfriend would never cheat on me. However, I can't help but feel jealous whenever he talks to her and I've told him so a couple of times - he's been lovely about it and when I'm with him, it's just us, he doesn't talk to her really; I know that I'm more important to him than her.

So basically, I just want to know if anyone has any advice for dealing with my insecurity, seeing as I know there is nothing going on between them - I simply get jealous that he talks to her so much and is so close to her.

Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all,

I'm in an LDR with my boyfriend of nearly a year. We met at uni but he has sinced moved to a different university, meaning we're long distance both in term time and in the holidays.

We get on so well when we're together and whenever we chat it's great. However, he's recently become good friends with a girl who lives elsewhere and talks to her loads, texting and on facebook and stuff. I know there's nothing going on between them - she has a boyfriend and I know my boyfriend would never cheat on me. However, I can't help but feel jealous whenever he talks to her and I've told him so a couple of times - he's been lovely about it and when I'm with him, it's just us, he doesn't talk to her really; I know that I'm more important to him than her.

So basically, I just want to know if anyone has any advice for dealing with my insecurity, seeing as I know there is nothing going on between them - I simply get jealous that he talks to her so much and is so close to her.

Thanks all
    My only advice is to just try to cope with it... my boyfriend is lovely and wouldn't cheat on me, he is quite close to his ex-girlfriend and it does make me jealous at times... but I have realised that being annoyed with him or acting jealous around him, or even trying to force him to end his friendship with her will just ruin our own relationship.

He is with you because he loves YOU, I'm sure you have male friends who you chat to, and you'd probably hate it if your boyfriend became jealous of your male friends and tried to stop you from talking to them.
    • TSR Support Team

I think you need to remember he is with you not her, also you don't want to end up being clingy like checking up every five minutes on what he's doing. At the end of the day he is allowed to have other female friends just as you are allowed to have your own friends and interests.

(Original post by La Songeuse)
    My only advice is to just try to cope with it... my boyfriend is lovely and wouldn't cheat on me, he is quite close to his ex-girlfriend and it does make me jealous at times... but I have realised that being annoyed with him or acting jealous around him, or even trying to force him to end his friendship with her will just ruin our own relationship.

He is with you because he loves YOU, I'm sure you have male friends who you chat to, and you'd probably hate it if your boyfriend became jealous of your male friends and tried to stop you from talking to them.
    Yeah, this is what I keep telling myself lol I'd NEVER tell him he can't talk to her, but I have said that I'm uncomfortable with how he talks to her sometimes. I know it's something for me to deal with, not him. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey all,

Thanks all
    By accepting the challenge of a long distance relationship, you also accepted the fact that you will have to have the trust and faith that your partner will not be seeing anyone else as promised. Being paranoid and accusing will only grow doubts, insecurity and tension between you and none of those three will help the relationship survive successfully.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.