The Student Room Group

How do you get rid of tongue ulcers?

I'm sure most of you will have experienced those nasty little things which appear on your tongue and I don't know if they have a specific name but to be simple I'll just call them tongue ulcers. At the moment I'm overcoming the cold and an abscess on one of my gums, and two of these little bastards have appeared at the tips of my tongue; certainly the last thing I need/want in this situation. I want to rip them off but I can't and I was hoping if anyone knew any ways to help get rid of them quickly, or at least make them less painful? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I get those from time to time. I just usually leave them and wait for them to go away on their own after a few days. Sipping on a cold drink can help to soothe them in the meantime. Or even sucking an ice cube if it's that bad.
Reply 2
Strong salt and vinegar crisps. Burn the ****ers right off!
Reply 3
totally know how you feel. i had three at the same time and they didnt go away for about 2 months! tried everything, but the best thing is to just wait- i found that burning them and picking them made it feel much better, but it would only come back the next day twice the size and 5 times more painful!
i found that custard powder really helped though, just get a pinch of it and place it on the ulcer- u wont feel any burning sensation or anything but it really soothes it.
They annoy the hell out of me, but I just tend to leave them and they go away after a couple of days.
Reply 5
Corsodyl mouth wash normally works to soothe them.
There are a few direct treatments:
Bonjela, Anbesol and also another cream that you can get from the Pharmacist that really cools of the area. There are also Rinstead pastels that help soothe the area.

Some people also rub salt into the ulcers directly. I've never done this as I find it really horrifically painful but aparently it dries them up right away.
Reply 7
Rinstead pastilles are delicious. But I don't think they're very effective.

I get them all the time, I find bonjela and mouthwash work best.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Been french kissing, haven't you? :P
Reply 9
Original post by Jarlsberg
I'm sure most of you will have experienced those nasty little things which appear on your tongue and I don't know if they have a specific name but to be simple I'll just call them tongue ulcers. At the moment I'm overcoming the cold and an abscess on one of my gums, and two of these little bastards have appeared at the tips of my tongue; certainly the last thing I need/want in this situation. I want to rip them off but I can't and I was hoping if anyone knew any ways to help get rid of them quickly, or at least make them less painful? Thanks

hey, rub bonjela on it
the mouth is the fastest healing part of the body so they should be gone within a few days that if you dont keep on touching them with ya teeth,
urgh i hate mouth ulcers, or spots on me tongue, x
Original post by tbm
Corsodyl mouth wash normally works to soothe them.

This.

And leave it alone :tongue:
I think I know what you're talking about. Last time I had one I got some tweezers and ripped it off my tongue. Bled like crazy for a while but the annoying sensation it created was gone. If I'm totally honest I actually quite enjoyed the whole experience.
Reply 12
Thanks!
Original post by ShowMeYourSpine
I think I know what you're talking about. Last time I had one I got some tweezers and ripped it off my tongue. Bled like crazy for a while but the annoying sensation it created was gone. If I'm totally honest I actually quite enjoyed the whole experience.

:O u riped the spot of, OMG, didnt it kill?
Reply 14
Stop licking arses.
Reply 15
Salt hurts a bit but it works
Sulphuric and Nitric acid in equal measure.

Twice daily.

10 molar, minimum.

Edit: Warning, I accept no liability if anyone is actually stupid enough to do this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by catty khan
:O u riped the spot of, OMG, didnt it kill?

Not really no :tongue:

Not trying to sound macho or anything but it honestly didn't hurt much at all.
Reply 18
Didn't even know such a thing existed. o.O
Original post by Jarlsberg

This - Bonjela.

Latest