Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am in the process of finding a job atm, and a lot of people say that networking can produce a huge impact. Basically, what do you think of it? What are your successful networking stories?

Furthermore, I have tried to approach HRs via LinkedIn asking them to shed some light on their hiring practices, and what should I emphasize in my applications. Sent some 3 inmails there, but recieved no reply

And so I desperately want to know, how do you approach people you don't know with issues like that? Should one even do it?

Would greatly appreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    You need to meet people in person really - go to networking events at your uni that are run by companies that yu are interested in working for - do your research so that you stand out, and chat to the employees afterwards.

I was a waitress for an editor of a major national newspaper and I managed to secure an internship through that.

ReputationRep:
    I was always sure that the employees of the companies that hold networking events know precisely what to say in each and every situation - so that they would basically provide you with the information that is already on the corporate website, nope?

I have been to a couple of such events and seen no one really standing out from a crowd; but if someone does - what are they supposed to do next? How to enhance this position further?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do Linked in unless its an Small Business, Large and Medium Size Businesses will not reply.

Try asking friends and families if they know anyone/where they work.

Try your school/uni network. I randomly found out one of my friends was on an internship @ a bank, I managed to get a 2 week internship via him. and I got invited to their graduate networking event back in August which was really cool. It taught me a lot about networking.

Don't bother with HR, you need to get to someone who is middle management in the department you want. If its HR get in touch with a middle manager within the HR dept.

One tip I was told call the organisation you want to work for, ring them up ask to be passed to the department you want to work in and pluck up a conversation with someone, say how much you would love to work for them etc etc, "ask for an informal meeting about the job role etc etc" then you ask for a little 2 week work ex, ask them to pay for your travel and lunch.

Also start adding groups via Linked in, and start adding people and sending messages asking for Advice, not for a job.

hopefully the above helped. not written correctly, currently writing my dissertation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Next1988)
    Don't do Linked in unless its an Small Business, Large and Medium Size Businesses will not reply.

Try asking friends and families if they know anyone/where they work.

Try your school/uni network. I randomly found out one of my friends was on an internship @ a bank, I managed to get a 2 week internship via him. and I got invited to their graduate networking event back in August which was really cool. It taught me a lot about networking.

Don't bother with HR, you need to get to someone who is middle management in the department you want. If its HR get in touch with a middle manager within the HR dept.

One tip I was told call the organisation you want to work for, ring them up ask to be passed to the department you want to work in and pluck up a conversation with someone, say how much you would love to work for them etc etc, "ask for an informal meeting about the job role etc etc" then you ask for a little 2 week work ex, ask them to pay for your travel and lunch.

Also start adding groups via Linked in, and start adding people and sending messages asking for Advice, not for a job.

hopefully the above helped. not written correctly, currently writing my dissertation
    I have tried to contact the middle managers and the people who could be my bosses with the organization, as well as HRs, but I think you are right.

About the phone calls - does that work for large and medium companies? I can imagine it be so for the small businesses, and doubt about the rest. And, well, has anyone really done so? Sounds a bit crazy, just imagine if you woror the company that has recruiting campaings - one of the many applicants wants to come to the office, and you need to distract your employees to introduce the company to her, but she may never get the job! :confused:

Also, yeah, I am not asking for a job, of course, that would be insane, imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damngringo)
    I have tried to contact the middle managers and the people who could be my bosses with the organization, as well as HRs, but I think you are right.

About the phone calls - does that work for large and medium companies? I can imagine it be so for the small businesses, and doubt about the rest. And, well, has anyone really done so? Sounds a bit crazy, just imagine if you woror the company that has recruiting campaings - one of the many applicants wants to come to the office, and you need to distract your employees to introduce the company to her, but she may never get the job! :confused:

Also, yeah, I am not asking for a job, of course, that would be insane, imo
    I did it when I was in Year 10, I went to UBS @ Liverpool street, maybe it worked because I was a kid.

I saw try via Linked in asking for advice and keep applying to trainee roles, grad schemes, alike.

and Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.