Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ugh complete techno-failure here that could do with some help with laptop problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    dear god, I hate this bluddy laptop.
    basically it seems to have some trojans or some weird stuff on it (I watch way to many films/tv series online, think that is where they probably came from) and I used to be able to sort it out using this program I have called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and I also have a firewall protection of McAfee which I pay for (but obviously does a shite job lol).

the Anti-Malware thingy I have has been working for the past year, but over the past few days hasn't been successful in getting rid of all the trojans etc. I just want to reset the whole laptop, I don't care if I lose my music/pictures/work, I have it all backed up on discs and USB sticks

so how how how do I essentially restore my laptop to factory settings? I want to completely get rid of everything on it and start anew, reinstall all my programs, set up the internet again.

info - I have Windows Vista, it is a Samsung NP laptop and it is only about 8 months old.
    any help and I will +rep for forever haha.

ReputationRep:
    It can be done a few different ways depending on the manufacturer etc. Do you have a disk that came with the laptop for precisely this purpose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterofpuppets)
    It can be done a few different ways depending on the manufacturer etc. Do you have a disk that came with the laptop for precisely this purpose?
    erm well I am not the most organised person so I don't have a clue where all my laptop stuff is, I could have a hunt for a disc but I have no idea what it is called/where it may be, especially in all this christmas-preparation chaos at my house lol.

any way I can do it without a disc? I don't care if everything gets deleted, ideally I would like it how it was when I first unwrapped the packaging when I bought it (obviously it won't run as fast)

ReputationRep:
    whats the model? cause quite a few laptops have a restore to factory partition saved on HD which makes things ALOT easier. and seeing as its only 8 months old. its quite likely it will do. or you could jus start it up and start by trying f11.. and if that doesnt work.. press all the f buttons in the hope it goes to the right one or say the model and we'll tell you what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabeelhanif)
    whats the model? cause quite a few laptops have a restore to factory partition saved on HD which makes things ALOT easier. and seeing as its only 8 months old. its quite likely it will do. or you could jus start it up and start by trying f11.. and if that doesnt work.. press all the f buttons in the hope it goes to the right one or say the model and we'll tell you what to do.
    hia, thanks for the reply
    make - samsung
    model - NP-R405

it is small and black is that helps haha, in fact here is a picture of it http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/laptops/samsung-r405/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    hia, thanks for the reply
    make - samsung
    model - NP-R405

it is small and black is that helps haha, in fact here is a picture of it http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/laptops/samsung-r405/
    right find "system restore" on your PC, you should see something called "advanced system restore options" somewhere on that page, and it should give you an option to use a system image to restore your pc (lose all your data).

ReputationRep:
    If youve backed up data on external disks/drives you risk reintroducing them into the new system. You have to make sure those are clean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    right find "system restore" on your PC, you should see something called "advanced system restore options" somewhere on that page, and it should give you an option to use a system image to restore your pc (lose all your data).
    ahhh thankyou so much you star :hugs: it worked. it is as good as new (apart from my missing keyboard keys that I accidently sucked up the hoover lol)!
    I am currently installing better firewalls/anti-virus thingies to prevent it happening again. thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    ahhh thankyou so much you star :hugs: it worked. it is as good as new (apart from my missing keyboard keys that I accidently sucked up the hoover lol)!
    I am currently installing better firewalls/anti-virus thingies to prevent it happening again. thanks again!
    Any time If you dont want to spent money use AVG with spyware search and destroy, if you do want to spent money, try Kaspersky, its £15ish for 3 licences from www.software4students.co.uk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.