Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Ed Miliband grind your gears like he does mine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not only does he look like Mr Potato Head, his vacuous rhetoric and criticism without offering ANY viable policies or alternatives just appals me. His performances in the chamber including PMQ's are unprofessional and Ya-boo politics in every instance. He never has anything real to say and he's obsessed with scoring tiny political points with the electorate, as voiced by his fake electioneering populism over graduate taxes. He wasn't even elected by a majority of his party; the unions that bankroll him and his party swung the vote towards him.

Does anyone else have a deep hate for Red Ed?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, he's great. David Cameron "grinds my gears"

ReputationRep:
    Oh god yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peteo)
    Nah, he's great. David Cameron "grinds my gears"
    I don't understand what the hell you can like about him.

ReputationRep:
    *Sigh* its not like St. Dave did anything similar for 2 years after being elected is it? And he'd been in opposition for 8 years!

ReputationRep:
    That thing he does with his mouth is awesome.

ReputationRep:

In addition: that's what opposition is all about. Rhetoric and vacuous speech.

ReputationRep:
    If Teveth sees this thread he will be in tears...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    Not only does he look like Mr Potato Head, his vacuous rhetoric and criticism without offering ANY viable policies or alternatives just appals me. His performances in the chamber including PMQ's are unprofessional and Ya-boo politics in every instance. He never has anything real to say and he's obsessed with scoring tiny political points with the electorate, as voiced by his fake electioneering populism over graduate taxes. He wasn't even elected by a majority of his party; the unions that bankroll him and his party swung the vote towards him.

All 3 of the major party leaders 'grind my gears'

ReputationRep:
    His nasally voice irritates me.

ReputationRep:
    Cameroon & Clegg make me puke

ReputationRep:

He's the opposition leader, 7 months into the new government's tenure, this is all he can do and thus exactly what he should be doing.

If this is still the situation in 3 years time, then maybe then you'll have a point.

Until then, your post itself is just 'sniping and point scoring'...

Yes I dislike Ed Miliband, which makes him one of the 90% or so of politicians that I have little time for. I don't believe he has any kind of ideological motivation - he's just interested in power, which explains why hes not willing to offer any actual policies himself. David Cameron was exactly the same when he was in opposition. Judging from that, I think we can expect Miliband to continue the same trick for the next five years, oh joy.

I'll respect Miliband/Labour if they actually detail which services should be cut, given that they admit cuts need to be made, but instead they just whinge constantly about every single one this government makes.

Really wish we had primaries, to increase the amount of ideological candidates in Parliament. (Oh look, I didn't just whinge, I also gave a solution!)

ReputationRep:

This is pretty much hw the Conservatives were for most of the last 13 years. When an opposition party is going through a period of re-shaping its policies and re-considering what it stands for, its kind of inevitable that it will appear opportunistic. In any event, the job of an opposition party isn't really to put forward alternative policies - at least not when it is likely to be 4years until the next election.

(Original post by candyflipper)
      I'll respect Miliband/Labour if they actually detail which services should be cut, given that they admit cuts need to be made, but instead they just whinge constantly about every single one this government makes
      Of course you are right that Labour haven't fully set out their proposed cuts (which is probably unreasonable given that they are going through a period of renewal), but to be fair Labour are talking about cutting NHS spending (and at the 2005 election promised to increase NHS spending only in real-terms and to find efficiency gains on top, IIRC)

ReputationRep:
      There's just something of the night about that man.

I have no idea how he became Labour's front man, considering no one wanted him as their first choice. Everyone's second choice maybe, but it's still odd.
      No doubt as soon as the coalition **** it up, he'll be straight in Number 10, continuing the toxic cycle that is plaguing British politics.

ReputationRep:
      I don't have a problem with him as a politician, but he needs to clarify his policies, attitudes and decisions, quickly.

ReputationRep:

Hahaha exactly this - I really thought I was the only one to notice the Mr Potatohead resemblance!

But yes, he irritates me. When difficult decisions (like cutting public spending) have to be made, a responsible opposition should set out what they would do differently. Despite promising that several times, he's still not actually said anything concrete.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      David was the better brother for the job.

ReputationRep:
      Yeh, maybe David Cameron can give Ed some of the policies he had whilst he was in opposition.

Oh wait...

(Original post by lovely_me)
        There's just something of the night about that man.
        Isn't that what Ann Widdecombe said about Michael Howard, her Tory colleague?

Edit: Yeah, here it is; courtesy of wiki

Ann Widdecombe's assertion about Howard

Six days after the Derek Lewis incident on Newsnight, Ann Widdecombe, his former minister of state at the Home Office, made a statement in the House of Commons about the dismissal of then director of the Prison Service, Derek Lewis, and famously remarked of Howard that "there is something of the night about him", a widely quoted comment that may have contributed to the failure of his 1997 bid for the Conservative Party leadership. The comment was taken by some as a reference to his dour demeanor, which was implied as being sinister and almost Dracula-like, and related to his Romanian ancestry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.