Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think there may have been a thread on this a while back- but oh well.
    But anyway- quite a few people seem to think that young drivers are bad drivers/boy racers and all that. But older drivers can be just as bad at times.
    What does everyone else think? Has anyone had any particular experiences with older drivers?

ReputationRep:
    No one cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    But anyway- quite a few people seem to think that young drivers are bad drivers/boy racers and all that. But older drivers can be just as bad at times.
    What does everyone else think? Has anyone had any particular experiences with older drivers?
    There is a T junction around 25m from my house, the guy who owns the house directly opposite has twice had his garden wall knocked down by elderly drivers. He can't be bothered to put the wall back up now as it will only get mowed down again.

I had a moment of rage in a Porsche where this woman was going around 30 in a 50, accelerated like a nutter... that showed her.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing worse than being stuck behind some old timer trying to parallel park...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Definitely. Just today, I saw an old man drive IN BETWEEN lanes. I mean, on the lines. I had to drop back for my own safety.

That being said, everyone has driving moments they are not proud of, young and old..

ReputationRep:
    People going too slow is just as dangerous sometimes. Pisses me off no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hg345)
    People going too slow is just as dangerous sometimes. Pisses me off no end.
    I agree. There is a bypass not too far from where i live- and ive had old drivers drive along there at 25/30mph. The speed limit is 60. There was no reason why the person needed to go that slow, there was no traffic, there wasnt any rain/snow/ice/fog or anything else that would make them need to go slower.

ReputationRep:
    Its not up to you to decide whether or not another driver has reason to go slow. Although admittedly it can be pretty annoying being stuck behind a slow driver. Maybe they are just doing ti to piss you off

ReputationRep:
    I find it really frustrating when stuck behind a slow, oap driver - but funnily enough, they seem to be really impatient as well and hate waiting for anyone else!

The incompetent drivers I come across daily seem to be of all ages though, most of them taxi drivers. Where I live Im sure theres about 3 taxi's for every other car that's on the road, and they are so bloody rude.

EDIT: haha, thanks for the neg rep! Pathetic! Some people just cannot handle the truth!

ReputationRep:
    Women are bad driver!

Yeh I said it!

only joking

ReputationRep:
    After shopping a few weeks back we were waiting to come out of the car park and this OAP driver behind us was obviously frustrated about having to wait a few seconds because it was busy, so he revved his engine mounted the pavement and drove off almost hitting numerous lampposts and people, almost caused a crash at the junction and then proceeded to go about 10 mph down the 30 mph road.
    it really was one of those 'you're either a legend or a complete ********' moments.
    it was almost surreal and really hard to describe. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    There is a T junction around 25m from my house, the guy who owns the house directly opposite has twice had his garden wall knocked down by elderly drivers. He can't be bothered to put the wall back up now as it will only get mowed down again.

I had a moment of rage in a Porsche where this woman was going around 30 in a 50, accelerated like a nutter... that showed her.
    Lol, don't lie. You drive a Lada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Lol, don't lie. You drive a Lada.

I'm on business insurance, I can drive whatever I want. As it happens my father has a Cayenne.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me very uncomfortable when people pick on older drivers. Yes, every so often you're stuck behind someone going a bit too slowly. Boo-hoo. If you surivived the blitz I think you've earned the right to go a bit on the slow side in your golden years.

I do not believe in re-tests unless there is a damned good reason - reaching some arbitrary age is not one.

ReputationRep:
    Boyracers give guys like me with a quite a powerful car the boyracer "look" to insurance companies. It should only be expensive if I've put a turbo, exhaust, etc. If I do have a boyracer behind me, and he knows that my car would own him, he holds back, and If I aint in a good mood, I will go slow to REALLY ANNOY the immatue git.. Ye speed limits are there for a reason, but I can't help a little drag race if a Chav'd up 106/saxo pulls up LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Crimson_Chin)
    Boyracers give guys like me with a quite a powerful car the boyracer "look" to insurance companies. It should only be expensive if I've put a turbo, exhaust, etc. If I do have a boyracer behind me, and he knows that my car would own him, he holds back, and If I aint in a good mood, I will go slow to REALLY ANNOY the immatue git.. Ye speed limits are there for a reason, but I can't help a little drag race if a Chav'd up 106/saxo pulls up LOL
    Nothing to do with the thread, but this kid in his saxo with an oversized exhaust pulled up next to my mum revving his engine trying to look intimidating. My mum decided it would be funny to have a little drag race with him. (clear open road no one was around) was he embarrassed when he was left at the lights by a 40 year old woman in a ford focus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    It makes me very uncomfortable when people pick on older drivers. Yes, every so often you're stuck behind someone going a bit too slowly. Boo-hoo. If you surivived the blitz I think you've earned the right to go a bit on the slow side in your golden years.

I do not believe in re-tests unless there is a damned good reason - reaching some arbitrary age is not one.

Sure it is. Basic neuroscience shows that brain function degrades with ageing, including your finer motor functions and things like sensory perception. I think drivers who are 65+ should be made to take a top up driving test. The test wouldn't be as challenging as the first one, but they should take one none the less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Sure it is. Basic neuroscience shows that brain function degrades with ageing, including your finer motor functions and things like sensory perception. I think drivers who are 65+ should be made to take a top up driving test. The test wouldn't be as challenging as the first one, but they should take one none the less.
    I think you'll find 65 is just such an arbitrary age as I was referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    I think you'll find 65 is just such an arbitrary age as I was referring to.

And I think you'll find that brain function starts to deteriorate around this time, it wasn't plucked out of my arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    And I think you'll find that brain function starts to deteriorate around this time, it wasn't plucked out of my arse.
    Not good enough, sorry. Why not 64 or 66? Why should anyone have anything to prove just because they've reached some multiple of 365 days? Maybe if there's reasonable grounds to suggest that someone's "brain function" is significantly impaired, then and only then should be ordered to prove it isn't.

In any case, just because your brain's not "functioning" as well as it used to doesn't mean you suddenly forget how to drive. If "brain function" is the issue then why not have a "brain function" test rather than clogging up already full driving test centres?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.