Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For people who get grants? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not posting this to be a spoilt brat, although I won't get grants, I also won't really get much money from my parents, if any at all.
    Anyhow, I was wondering, under the present system, how easy/hard is it for students who get grants,- do they cover your full costs, or do you work too?

Say for example, are you able to make a big purchase like a laptop out of your grant? Or say, if you qualified for extra support from university funds,- like i've seen a few universities offer.

I know some people might think this is rude, but this is public money and it's not like you have no anonymity. Although I wont get these grants, I still wont get support from my Dad,- this post is not meant to be condescending, it's not like i'm super rich, i'm not at all.

I respect that many people rightly need support, but just wondered what the level of support people have?

With grants and university support funds:
    - Do you need a job to get by?
    - Do you need a job to get "nicer" things?
    - Would you be able to afford a laptop or another "big purchase"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    I'm not posting this to be a spoilt brat, although I won't get grants, I also won't really get much money from my parents, if any at all.
    Anyhow, I was wondering, under the present system, how easy is it for students who get grants,- do they cover your full costs, or do you work too?

Say for example, are you able to make a big purchase like a laptop out of your grant? Or say, if you qualified for extra support from university funds,- like i've seen a few universities offer.

I know some people might think this is rude, but this is public money and it's not like you have no anonymity. Although I wont get these grants, I still wont get support from my Dad,- this post is not meant to be condescending, it's not like i'm super rich, i'm not at all.

I respect that many people rightly need support, but just wondered what the level of support people have?

I'm on a gap year but have grants etc.. figured out. My grants would cover accommodation and little else. I would have to work. Without the grants I would have to go somewhere in my city and live at home which is impractical and would exclude me from some of the best universities. I could not make that amount of money whilst at university or on a gap year. I would not be able to afford a laptop or big purchase and would never spend it on nice things '(where would I live?)
    I hate it when people say oh its tax payers money etc.. what else should the money be spent on other then those who need it? Plus a lot of university bursaries/grants come from alumni.
    I get why you may be annoyed though and but the idea is that those who have a household income of more then 30k will be able to give their children some level of support.
    You can always apply for a hardship fund from your university if you need (I believe that they don't take into account family income but could be wrong) and there are course specific grants and grants for grades that don't take income into account.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm eligible for grants, and no it's not enough to support my lifestyle, so I have to work to supplement that. If I survived just with the loans+grants I wouldn't be able to afford these nice purchases you talk about.

TG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilterri)
    I'm on a gap year but have grants etc.. figured out. My grants would cover accommodation and little else. I would have to work. Without the grants I would have to go somewhere in my city and live at home which is impractical and would exclude me from some of the best universities. I could not make that amount of money whilst at university or on a gap year. I would not be able to afford a laptop or big purchase and would never spend it on nice things '(where would I live?)
    I hate it when people say oh its tax payers money etc.. what else should the money be spent on other then those who need it? Plus a lot of university bursaries/grants come from alumni.
    I get why you may be annoyed though and but the idea is that those who have a household income of more then 30k will be able to give their children some level of support.
    You can always apply for a hardship fund from your university if you need (I believe that they don't take into account family income but could be wrong) and there are course specific grants and grants for grades that don't take income into account.
    I'm not annoyed in the slightest! At all.
    I said that it's right that people are supported, not everyone can be supported and therefore it's practical to have a system based on house hold income,- although it has flaws,- i.e parents not giving money.

It is the tax payers money, so you should accept that people will say that,- because that's where the money comes from.

I know the University funds come from alumni.

I'm not out to be a **** or a spoilt brat, if you read above, I make that clear.
    I think the system in the UK is fantastically fair all round.

ReputationRep:
    Anyhow, I was wondering, under the present system, how easy/hard is it for students who get grants,- do they cover your full costs, or do you work too?

Finally, someone opened a thread about grants without being an idiot.
    I have no reply, but you deserve rep, OP.

edit: may as well ad my answer!

I will be getting grants if i ever get into uni.
    I have no intention of spending it on going out, or eating posh ect... If I want that, I will bloody well work for it lol
    It really pisses me off when people do that....

But I will most probably spend the money and slightly better accommodation, and saving for things like a computer.

My parents simply could not provide me with money if things went bad.
    Out of interest, would you parents? If it was essential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Hi,

I'm eligible for grants, and no it's not enough to support my lifestyle, so I have to work to supplement that. If I survived just with the loans+grants I wouldn't be able to afford these nice purchases you talk about.

TG
    Oh right, sorry about that.

I'm confused now though,- I only get the maintainance loan,- which means I'll be on £3000 less than you,- does that mean i'll need more than an average part time job?

If your money with a grant just covers, my loan wont cover anything,- even with a job, i'll just have the amount you have with a loan/grant?

Or am I missing something? (this post is said without any hostility, it's genuine questions)

ReputationRep:
    I said that it's right that people are supported, not everyone can be supported and therefore it's practical to have a system based on house hold income,- although it has flaws,- i.e parents not giving money.

It is the tax payers money, so you should accept that people will say that,- because that's where the money comes from.

I'm not out to be a **** or a spoilt brat, if you read above, I make that clear.

I didn't think that you were being a brat just thought that you were having a moan and was explaining why it was how it was and how you could get some money if you needed some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Finally, someone opened a thread about grants without being an idiot.
    I have no reply, but you deserve rep, OP.
    I support the welfare system in many cases, even if i'm a tory.
    The state has the provision for and ability to support people,- the system and new system of grants is fantastic. Basing it upon household income is the fairest way, although it does not account for parents not giving their children money, that does not matter, as any system would not be able to factor this in.
    There's no need to be jealous, or hostile about it. People should be helped no matter what, the state and tax payers as a collective, so society, should and can help others. Even if that means the middle is under constant squeeze.

ReputationRep:
    im eligable for grants and its amazing thank you government

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aprilterri;29012253]

[/QUOTEI didn't think that you were being a brat just thought that you were having a moan and was explaining why it was how it was and how you could get some money if you needed some.
    Not moaning in the slightest, honest!
    I'm just trying to understand how people cope with and without grants.
    If you read my posts, i'm trying my best to convey this,- as with words, expression is hard to get across.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, sorry about that.

I'm confused now though,- I only get the maintainance loan,- which means I'll be on £3000 less than you,- does that mean i'll need more than an average part time job?

If your money with a grant just covers, my loan wont cover anything,- even with a job, i'll just have the amount you have with a loan/grant?

Or am I missing something? (this post is said without any hostility, it's genuine questions)
    We all have different lifestyles my friend I have a car to run etc. Probably not the most average student. I'm sure you will be able to survive with the basic non means-tested loan and with a part time job. There are many threads on this forum to help students budget etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
    That does not help? Do you think you'll be able to be fine with just that or...?

ReputationRep:
    Nice name.

ReputationRep:
    We all have different lifestyles my friend I have a car to run etc. Probably not the most average student. I'm sure you will be able to survive with the basic non means-tested loan and with a part time job. There are many threads on this forum to help students budget etc.
    True, I wont be having a car. That's good then, you'll be having a car but still need to work in order to maintain it.
    See, this is an example of the system being fair, yes you have a car but it means you have to find extra sources of income to be able to have that car.

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    I had savings, a job last year and my fella gave me some money as well. So it's enough for me. Not sure how I'd be doing without.

ReputationRep:
    That does not help? Do you think you'll be able to be fine with just that or...?
    hi steve i just wanted to say it quick lol however im living at home and find the grants a GREAT incentive to go university i think the government (ex) wanted it more as an incentive to go. But if i was living out id find it very hard and have to find employment of some sort. If anything i wouldnt stand against people who recieve grants and so on for university as the main aim for the government is to improve the welfare of individuals and how better than to get an education which will improve your earnings 10 fold compared to the fees you occur in the short term. The government gets a return on its investment. Now for people abusing JSA and so fourth thats a different story altogether and even child tax credits its a pyramid scheme me tells ya :P. its more of a career choice to have kids these days if anything.

ReputationRep:
    Nice name.
    thank you.

ReputationRep:
    True, I wont be having a car. That's good then, you'll be having a car but still need to work in order to maintain it.
    See, this is an example of the system being fair, yes you have a car but it means you have to find extra sources of income to be able to have that car.

Thanks for the help!
    Yes sir. No problem. I think if you budget well you will be fine at university, as long as you don't go stupid like some students do and blow their entire loan on booze and women.

TG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I had savings, a job last year and my fella gave me some money as well. So it's enough for me. Not sure how I'd be doing without.
    You're at university right now?
    Do any of your friends or people you know not get a grant, but equally get no money from home,- or little money from home?

How do they cope? Is it tougher?

ReputationRep:
    hi steve i just wanted to say it quick lol however im living at home and find the grants a GREAT incentive to go university i think the government (ex) wanted it more as an incentive to go. But if i was living out id find it very hard and have to find employment of some sort. If anything i wouldnt stand against people who recieve grants and so on for university as the main aim for the government is to improve the welfare of individuals and how better than to get an education which will improve your earnings 10 fold compared to the fees you occur in the short term. The government gets a return on its investment. Now for people abusing JSA and so fourth thats a different story altogether and even child tax credits its a pyramid scheme me tells ya :P. its more of a career choice to have kids these days if anything.
    I understand the grant scheme and the principles of it, I do support it also.
    What I don't understand or know, is the reality of living with a grant,- so can find out what it's going to be like for me, living without a grant.

But cheers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.