Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is accounting a really good career? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if not, what do you think is the best career in the future in terms of salary, job security, reputation etc
    serious answer please
    thnx

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is because there's always going to be a demand for accountants.

As far as I know, there aren't enough accountants around!

ReputationRep:
    What do people think is better- being a solicitor or an accountant?

ReputationRep:
    Actuary!

(I am not an actuary yet. But it appeals to me way more than accountancy)

ReputationRep:
    Like iceman says there is always a demand for accountants.

In some circles its slightly derided, eg you get people wanting to go into consulting or banking etc who regard accountancy as the fallback from those who didn't quite make it. As a job especially in the early days it is not the most exciting work but then in many careers there's a lot of mundane work, I think if you can grit your teeth through it and complete the ACA then it offers options.

One other point about accountancy is it opens doors to different areas of the financial sector. On the one hand you get the introverted bean counter types who just want to be career accountants, but the more enterprising graduates who are on accountancy training schemes will use the opportunities they get to work on firms accounts to do networking and get themselves popular and noticed. I know one guy for example who is now making good money as a broker of multimillion pound reinsurance contracts, he had never thought about this as a graduate but he trained as an accountant and did a particular firm's accounts three years in a row, then got invited to a social with them and a manager sidled up to him saying "when you finish your ACA, I think we should have a talk"... Accountancy does offer good networking opportunities IMO but only if you're the type to take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Actuary!

(I am not an actuary yet. But it appeals to be way more than accountancy)
    I would agree but it has to be said it is not for everyone. The exams are harder than accountancy exams and whilst anybody who is disciplined and studious can get through accountancy exams, actuarial exams require you to basically be a very confident mathematician and you get even high performing maths graduates having to resit exams.

Once qualified actuaries tend to stay as actuaries whereas accountants often go off into other things, probably because all other things being equal actuaries get better pay and also they usually say the stressful part of the career is during qualification, once you're qualified you're basically on top of the stuff you need to know so it's just a case of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    If u have the type of brains and discipline required 2 get u through a chartered accountancy course then go 4 it. Its money making and secure and there is room for career change into business related roles or even legal fields.
    There is certainly more demand at the moment for accountants than there is for solicitors. There are many law students at the moment who cant get a place in a law firm for their LPC because of the abundance of ppl studying the subject. It will prob take longer 2 qualify as a solicitor and its more competitive all the way through. Its only worth it if ur passionate about the subject and have a particular reason for choosing it over any other.
    I would suggest you start by studying towards a Level 2 Accounting qualification and see whether its ur kind of thing. If u hate it stop right there and think of something else but if u like it go on 2 study ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA or something and u could make big bucks!
    Best of Luck!
    BTW Im not just making this up, i started Accounting and now have decided 2 switch to a business degree instead so i know a bit about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Accountancy is one of the best subjects to be studying at this moment in time since a lot of subjects can be unreliable in the current climate, accountancy will always be needed. Only study it if you have an interest in it though, otherwise you may find it hard to motivate yourself to do the work

ReputationRep:
    I work as a management accountant. What I can say it is secure. However, it's long hours, stressful and the pay isn't great. I have a degree in accounting and finance as well as being part qualified acca with a few more exams left to complete. With the time and money I have invested in my studies to date I would expect the prospect of becoming qualified/certified to pay well. In reality the pay is average. Friends of mine, who have found careers in project management, IT, Marketing and even Sales tend to be in a much larger pay bracket without the need of professional qualifications post university. Unless you are passionate about accounting and would pretty much prefer I routine job then this is not for you. I only wish I had done my research before I stepped foot into finance. Now with all the time already invested it's hard to just quit and find something new. Sorry to be a pary pooper, but this is just my honest opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.