Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breaking up with girlfriend before Uni? Watch

Hi guys/girls, I want your opinion on whether you think it's acceptable to dump your girlfriend before you go to university? I've been with my girlfriend for over a year now but im certain she's not the 'one' for me. Although I 'love' her now, I think that when I go off to university I want to be single so I can pursue anyone I want to without having any ties etc etc.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Go ahead. Just don't drag it out or make ambiguous excuses.

ReputationRep:
    I think men who get rid of their girlfriends because they can't be bothered or 'think' it's better single are idiots.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys/girls, I want your opinion on whether you think it's acceptable to dump your girlfriend before you go to university? I've been with my girlfriend for over a year now but im certain she's not the 'one' for me. Although I 'love' her now, I think that when I go off to university I want to be single so I can pursue anyone I want to without having any ties etc etc.

What are your thoughts?
    Well if you ain't happy in the relationship there is no point dragging it out until uni, end it now and let her find someone else who wants her.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you don't really love her. Dump her.

ReputationRep:
    finish it before you do something you'll regret. or in your case dont do something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Clearly you don't really love her. Dump her.
    Because we all go into relationships immediately being in love :rolleyes:

Get rid of her when Uni comes. Either that or if you are weak you can always just cheat, but I think thats the easy way out. So I say dump her later tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my girlfriend for over a year now but im certain she's not the 'one' for me. Although I 'love' her now, I think that when I go off to university I want to be single so I can pursue anyone I want to without having any ties etc etc.
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Because we all go into relationships immediately being in love :rolleyes:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to break up with her, tell her the truth why. My ex broke up with me just before he left for uni, and he descended to using cliched excuses like "We've grown apart" and "I've changed, it's not your fault", when it was clear he just wanted to be single for Freshers Week. She'll appreciate the truth more, believe me.

(Although in my personal opinion, not even trying to make it work is a waste of a year's relationship and I feel sorry for your girlfriend, but this isn't my business.)

ReputationRep:
    dump...but have a shag first as a send off (Y)
    • TSR Support Team

Why wait till right before uni to ditch her when you feel like this, or unless she is happy to be used right up until then.

ReputationRep:

What are your thoughts?
    DO IT.

ReputationRep:
    Dump her now so she'll have by next year to get over you and find a guy worth being in a relationship with. Not one that dumps her at the first whiff of uni because they don't want the 'burden' of being attached.

ReputationRep:
    It's acceptable, but tell her straight out exactly why you're leaving so she can realise how much of a nugget she's been for staying with you when you use her like this

ReputationRep:
    You need to tell her that you want to do that. Talk it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.