Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    According to this he's the second most covered artist after the Beatles.

A few my favourites including some that have been covered loads:

All Along the Watchtower
    Blowin' in the Wind
    A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    Like a Rolling Stone
    Mr Tambourine Man
    Hurricane
    Positively Fourth Street
    Shelter From the Storm
    The Changing of the Guards
    Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again

Have I missed any awesome ones? Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    That's completely subjective. In my opinion Stevie Wonder is the Mozart of our times...Dylan is great but what about McCartney, Brian Wilson etc?

ReputationRep:
    For me, I'd say Steve Harris is one of my favourite songwriters. But like the post above said, it's completely subjective.

ReputationRep:
    i love beyond the horizon. it has to be my favourite bob dylan song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolawonder)
    That's completely subjective. In my opinion Stevie Wonder is the Mozart of our times...Dylan is great but what about McCartney, Brian Wilson etc?
    Yours is exactly the sort of response I was aiming for. Using a slightly provocative thread title entices people to come up with other legends like you have.

ReputationRep:
    Oasis, and when I say Oasis I mean Noel. :adore: :adore:

You can't be from Manchester and not love Oasis, it's like scientifically impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Yours is exactly the sort of response I was aiming for. Using a slightly provocative thread title entices people to come up with other legends like you have.
    Haha well you aimed well Dylan is wonderful, though I'm getting slightly sick of the endless 'To Make You Feel My Love' covers there seem to be.

ReputationRep:
    Dylan and Cohen tower above the rest for me. "Hurricane" is storytelling within music at its most evocative... I think Cohen's writing is more poetic, but Dylan wins on account of the sheer number of brilliant lyrics he has written over his mammoth career.

More recently, Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel was (and I'm sure still would be if he made music these days) wonderfully strange in his style.

ReputationRep:
    no lady gaga is obviously

The Times They Are A-Changin is another great Dylan song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)

You can't be from Manchester and not love Oasis, it's like scientifically impossible.
    I actually don't know anyone who doesn't like them.

But greatest songwriters?! You 'avin a laugh

I'd go with Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins :proud:

ReputationRep:

To say that Noel Gallagher is a better songwriter than Bob Dylan is just ridiculous, however much you might like Oasis.

ReputationRep:

I was born in Salford and like quite a few of their songs. But I don't love them if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy_division)
    no lady gaga is obviously

The Times They Are A-Changin is another great Dylan song
    Don't know how I forgot that one, was cool when they used it on the opening credits for Watchmen.

Also: REM anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever?
    nah, john lennon is

ReputationRep:
    John Mayer's pretty amazing with his lyrics....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    :proud:
    I actually don't. there is something about the voices that really grinds on me. The songs are ok, just not them singing them in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    I was born in Salford and like quite a few of their songs. But I don't love them if I'm honest.
    Salford's in Greater Manchester, not Manchester m8.

:hand:

Whatever, I'm surprised Elton John Freddie Merc, and Bowie haven't been mentioned yet.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how I forgot that one, was cool when they used it on the opening credits for Watchmen.

Also: REM anyone?
    Really? I now regret choosing to watch 2012 instead of that the other evening.

But yes, Dylan is a fantastic songwriter and a folk hero.

ReputationRep:
    Salford's in Greater Manchester, not Manchester m8.
    Whatever :plz2:

ReputationRep:

As a Manchester lad I used to worship Oasis then as I grew older I realised they were just a bunch of obnoxious prats who despite their rants of being "Manchester Till they die" they live down South and hardly ever venture back to the North. Infact they've been to more Man City away games than they have home games, some fans!

They did some great songs but ultimately never really broke massive ground internationally especially in the States. Everybody (including Oasis themselves) tries to compare them to the Beatles which I think is a massive insult to the Beatles.

Also, whatever little shred of respect I had for them went out of the window when Noel Gallagher insulted Michael Jackson's memory the day after his death. I mean who does Noel Gallagher think he is? When Michael Jackson died, the entire world mourned his death. When Oasis split up, nobody shed a tear or gave two hoots.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of songs I like. Oasis was part of my childhood but as I've got older I tend to look at artists not just by the songs they produce or the message it delivers but also who they are as people. When I was younger I thought I wanted to grow up to be just like the Gallaghers. Looks like I was saved a terrible fate.

As for Bob Dylan, yeah I'd rate him as one of the greatest singer songwriters of all time. His songs perfectly captured the atmosphere of the 1960s.

My personal favourite was "The Times They are a changin'" which he wrote in response to the Kennedy assassination and the issues surrounding the civil rights movement.

The difference with Bob Dylan compared to say Michael Jackson, The Beatles or Elvis was that he wasn't noted for his heart-stopping performances. It wasn't like he had legions of screaming fans following him everywhere. I mean look at the tours he does now. He tends to play in small venues across America when you consider the mass appeal he has, he could easily sell out stadium 4 or 5 times over.

But Bob Dylan didn't write music to give a flashy performance or wow audiences with his dancing or rock 'n' roll jives, he wrote his songs simply to convey a message and I think he did that pretty well and when he doesn eventually pass on the world will be a much sadder place.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.